Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fade to black not working with effects

Hi. When I have a clip with a lot of effects, when I add a cross dissolve to the beginning or end of a clip, there is no fading from/to black, just an immediate switch. However, without effects, the fade works fine. (Oddly, if I put the effects on the clip, then disable them via the checkmarks in the inspector, fading still does not work.)

Is this a bug or is there a conflict with certain effects or do I need a speedier computer?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 8:49 AM

5 replies

Jan 30, 2021 10:59 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Here's a few screen shots:

• Fade from black working before applying effects
  • Fade from black not working after applying effects
  • Fade from black still not working even after disabling (or deleting applied effects)
  • Effects that are part of the test preset

Media is an mp4 file (H.264 HD (1-1-1), 1920 x 1080 at 29.97 FPS, stereo at 48,000 Hz, 1.34 GB in size.

Jan 30, 2021 11:28 AM in response to aviavi

Cross Dissolve does not fade to black unless one side or the other IS black. With Cross Dissolve, there is always an overlap between the incoming and outgoing clips.

You need Fade To Color to split the two clips with a fade to black/fade from black. You can set a Midpoint and a length of time to "Hold". Fade To Color is in the Dissolves category.

Fade to black not working with effects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.