You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Learn about all the features, apps, and settings of your iPhone

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 10 Apple Email Notification

I cannot get my iPhone 10 Apple Email IOS 14.4 to sound a notification as soon as new emails received with the email app NOT open. It only sounds after I open the Apple email app. I need it to sound every time I get a new email. "Allow Notifications" is "on". "Alerts" for "Lock Screen", Notification Center" & "Banners" is selected.. Keep in mind, I have never used the notification for new emails before. Always been silent.

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 9:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 2:30 PM

It seems that Automatically does not work for Fetch cycles. Set it for either the hourly, 30 minutes or 15 minutes. It will fetch on that cycle. What you set it to depends on how often you wish to have mail selected and how much affect on the battery. Of course the more often you have it check the more battery it will use. I have a Comcast account and check it every 15 minutes, and I get a decent amount of mail during the day, and it doesn't really seem to impact my battery that much. I also have a work Exchange mail that pushes, and I get a lot of mail from there, so you should be okay.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 30, 2021 2:30 PM in response to 57Lespaul

It seems that Automatically does not work for Fetch cycles. Set it for either the hourly, 30 minutes or 15 minutes. It will fetch on that cycle. What you set it to depends on how often you wish to have mail selected and how much affect on the battery. Of course the more often you have it check the more battery it will use. I have a Comcast account and check it every 15 minutes, and I get a decent amount of mail during the day, and it doesn't really seem to impact my battery that much. I also have a work Exchange mail that pushes, and I get a lot of mail from there, so you should be okay.

Jan 30, 2021 3:11 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

It seems that Automatically does not work for Fetch cycles.

Yes it does work but not how some people expect to work. When Fetch Schedule is set to “Automatically” there is also an explanation appearing underneath that it requires device to be connected to Wifi and charging at the same time.

This is also documented in https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT211082:

With iOS 11 and later, and iPadOS, Automatically is set by default. Your device will fetch new data in the background only when your device is charging and connected to Wi-Fi.

By the sound of what op described, considering most will use the device without having it connected to power at all times, their email account is on Fetch and Fetch is set to either Automatically or Manually and yes, changing Fetch settings to one of other, time based options (e.g. Every 15 Minutes) should sort this out for thrm.

Jan 30, 2021 10:06 AM in response to 57Lespaul

How do you have your Mail accounts getting mail? Do you ever see a notification on the screen that you have received mail? What kind of mail account do you have? You should check your delivery settings. Go to Settings>Mail>Accounts>Fetch New Data. What is that set to? Unless you have an Exchange account, it should be set to Fetch, and then check your Fetch schedule. It should be set to one of the times. On that same page, look at the accounts listed there and make sure they are set to Fetch.

In Notifications for Mail, make sure you have a sound selected as well.

Jan 30, 2021 10:16 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Chris, Mail Account is Comcast. The notification I see on my iPhone is a number (red circle) top right of Apple App Icon.

As for Settings>Mail>Accounts>Fetch New Data...."Push" is on top of the "Fetch New Data Screen. / "Fetch is selected for "Mail" / Push is selected for "iCloud" / "Fetch " is selected for calendars. Towards bottom of Fetch New Data Screen "Automatically" is selected for Fetch Schedule.

Jan 30, 2021 3:30 PM in response to iW00

Thank you. That must be rather new. I never remember seeing that explanation in the past. I appreciate your explanation. While it makes sense for a fetch while on wi-fi and plugged in, does it explain what it considers automatic? I mean, is there some type of schedule. I just know it isn't a push, so how often is automatic?

Jan 30, 2021 3:49 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

I mean, is there some type of schedule. I just know it isn't a push, so how often is automatic?

Don’t know if there is some schedule or how often is automatic. All I know is that it requires Wifi and charging, and that it does work for me on my iPad where I use it. From my own experience and observations, when I use the device, I do see emails coming shortly after they were sent. When device is left idle (screen off) or I do some more network intensive task, the emails are downloaded with couple minutes delay.

Jan 30, 2021 4:20 PM in response to iW00

Great info. I may try it sometime soon with my Comcast account. I don't have that on my iPad, since I have it on my desktop computer and the iPhone, and I really don't need my home mail available on that many devices, but I use my iPad for a lot of testing, so it may be one of those things to check with. Have a great weekend.

Iphone 10 Apple Email Notification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.