Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DNG files - Edits not read

I am exporting an *edited* DBG file from Lightroom - and importing it in Photos

The file imported is the "basic" (original) DNG file... Not the changed / edited....

Is there any setting I am overseeing??... basically I want to import as DNG and not as converted JPEG... and Adobe writes the information in the DNG file itself... but it seems Photos is not reading it?

thanks

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 8:01 AM

When you edit a photo in lightroom, the original file is not changed at all. Lightroom (Like Photos) is a non destructive editor. The edits are recordeed as a list of instructions rather than changing the underlying image data. When you export, those instructions are applied to the raw file to create a final jpg (or other format image)

But it is actually not possible to create an edited raw file. A raw file always holds the raw data exactly as it was out of the camera. That is what raw means.

When you export a raw file with edits, the raw file is exported unchanged and the edits are listed in an xmp file - but again - that is just a list of instructions - which are not compatible with photos.

It might also be possible for the edit list to be embedded in the DNG file - but again that is as a list of instructions, not as edited image data.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2021 8:01 AM in response to lsimoes

When you edit a photo in lightroom, the original file is not changed at all. Lightroom (Like Photos) is a non destructive editor. The edits are recordeed as a list of instructions rather than changing the underlying image data. When you export, those instructions are applied to the raw file to create a final jpg (or other format image)

But it is actually not possible to create an edited raw file. A raw file always holds the raw data exactly as it was out of the camera. That is what raw means.

When you export a raw file with edits, the raw file is exported unchanged and the edits are listed in an xmp file - but again - that is just a list of instructions - which are not compatible with photos.

It might also be possible for the edit list to be embedded in the DNG file - but again that is as a list of instructions, not as edited image data.

Jan 31, 2021 7:54 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Thanks for replying

yes I was expecting the DNG fuel to have information about exposure, color etc etc because it is DNG (raw) -

Not *how* the changes were done - ie I am not expecting to undo or change steps - but that the *end* results are exported... ie a Snapshot if the last state in DNG Format

this is down when a file is exported to JPEG...

DNG files - Edits not read

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.