Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote CUPS Printer not found in Big Sur

There are serious issues with printing in Big Sur. Printing to a known working remote Linux CUPS print server does not work - Macs running Big Sur cannot see or connect to the printer. The printer is connected to a Raspberry Pi. I tested with 3 M1 macs - 2 MacBook Airs and 1 Mac Mini, as well as a 2014 MBP which was working prior to Big Sur with the same configuration. I have tested with another Debian host which easily finds and installs the printer. The printer is a Zebra label printer using the common EPL2 driver.

Another issue - the print queue for an HP laserjet printer will not show unless set to open with Rosetta.

Also, printing to the HP printer is sporadic - the Macs sometimes cannot connect to it, and I need to switch between WiFi and ethernet on the printer (an HP color 400).

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 4:21 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 31, 2021 4:33 PM in response to winder27

HP Color laserjet? Color inkjet? I looked on hp.com/support and that model is not even listed. You will need to be more specific about your printer model. See if the driver exists there for the Big Sur version of the drivers. If they don't, it probably is time to find out if you can keep your older Mac running an older system and simply save your print jobs to PDF before moving them onto the older system to get them printed.

Jan 31, 2021 6:34 PM in response to a brody

Thanks for responding. The zebra printer is a thermal printer. It's well supported in CUPS and should work fine as it always has before and still does for Linux clients. If this was a CPU architecture issue, then the Intel MBP would obviously still be working ok.

The HP printer is an "HP LaserJet 400 color M451dw" which supports AirPrint. Other than the buggy connection behaviour, the print queue issue is covered here:

https://kevinbecker.org/blog/2020/12/13/m1-mac-cant-open-print-queue

Remote CUPS Printer not found in Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.