Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Mac Mini M1: apple.mdworker exited due to SIGKILL?

I migrated from my iMac 2010 on High Sierra to Mac Mini M1 Big Sur 11.1.

2 out of 10 times it tells me that I have shut down my Mac due to a problem, although it has been shut down normally.

I checked the system log and this showed up.

I reinstalled Big Sur but still the same log.

How to fix?

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 12:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 1:46 PM

It seems the combination of the ICY-BOX 4 POrt USB Type C Hub (3.1 (Gen2 10GBit/s) and the LaCie de professional USB C HD lead to problems.

After removing the USB Hub the random shutdowns and restarts after error did not occur anymore.

Still the mdworker errors in console remain.

Similar questions

8 replies

Feb 1, 2021 1:58 AM in response to dr. meguro

Hey there!

I’d probably first follow this article if you haven’t happened to yet:

If your Mac restarted because of a problem:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553

I know it’s not restarting on its own, but most likely, it’s happening due to old/incompatible software that was transferred onto it, safe boot may confirm that, although it may have even transferred old Apple software as well.

Typically that’s the case, but, as the article says, I’d test without any external devices connected as well, (hard drives/monitors, etc.).

Feb 1, 2021 9:59 AM in response to DiZoE

Hi, thank you for the advice.

I tried to start the MacMini in safe mode without anything plugged in besides the monitor and the keyboard.

I deleted Deep translator and updated TypeIt4me and Capture One 21. AirMail has been updated to 5.01(660) but still shows errors in the system log.

Problem: The MacMini will not start in "safe mode". I pushed the start button for 10sec, then the Options and the MacMini HD icon appear. Pressed the HD icon while pressing "Shift", but no indication at all, that the the computer is starting in safe mode.

Should there be some text saying "Safe Mode", or how do I know it is in the mode...

Feb 1, 2021 8:07 PM in response to dr. meguro

Hey again!

Glad you were able to narrow down the cause!

You can check if the Mac is in safe mode by:

Apple > About This Mac > System Report.

Click on “Software”, then to the right next to “Boot Mode”, it will say either “Normal” or “Safe”.

But looks like you won’t need to now! As for mdworker, I wouldn’t worry about that unless you think it’s causing another issue, but I see that quite often. Cheers!

Feb 7, 2021 8:13 AM in response to DiZoE

Hi DiZoe,

I tried to avoid the hubs. But 2 USB A and 2 USB c ports and no SD Card port, on the M1 MacMini ist just ridiculous.

I need:

1 USB A for the keyboard (as the bluetooth connection is so unreliable (improved with 11.2 though))

1 USB A for the WebCam

1 USB A for the Scanner

1 USB A for my GoPros ( as it is a pain to take out the Micro SD from the GoPro)

1 USB C for my external 2TB SDD ( As the internal SSD from Mac is just way to expensive)

1 USB C for the SD Card Reader

4 USB C for my LaCie d2 Professionals (Thunderbolt is no option for me, as the price is 3 times the price of a USB HD)

4x USB A and 6x USB C, but I would find 5x USB A and 5x USB C an appropriate amount.

I am using an Anker 4 port Ultra Slim USB 3.0 Data Hub (Long cable) which has been working without problems.

I suspect there a still some real incompatibilities between the M1 USB C port and present USB C/A docks.

Big Sur Mac Mini M1: apple.mdworker exited due to SIGKILL?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.