Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not open BitLocker drive on my macbook pro

Hello,

My MacBook Pro says the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer. It is a Bitlocker protected portable drive. What should I do in order to open this bitlocker encrypted drive on my Mac Catalina?

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 6:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 11:52 PM

Only 12 GB free space available......In that case,virtual machine will not work for you, so the only way is to use third party software,here I share the tools I know and use, I hope it will be helpful to you.

https://www.uubyte.com/unlock-bitlocker-drive-on-another-pc-or-mac.html

It provides a way to unlock BitLocker encrypted drives on Mac.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2021 11:52 PM in response to sskzben

Only 12 GB free space available......In that case,virtual machine will not work for you, so the only way is to use third party software,here I share the tools I know and use, I hope it will be helpful to you.

https://www.uubyte.com/unlock-bitlocker-drive-on-another-pc-or-mac.html

It provides a way to unlock BitLocker encrypted drives on Mac.

Feb 2, 2021 7:32 PM in response to sskzben

sskzben wrote:

I was told by Microsoft staff that Microsoft does not offer any support for using BitLocker on mac unfortunately.

Yes, that's what I meant to convey. Since Microsoft doesn't offer any support for the Mac here, the only option seems to be third party software, which I was suggesting you try to make sure that it works properly before spending the fairly high cost.

If you will be needing to use such software frequently in the future, you could install a minimal virtual windows machine on your Mac to handle situations like this, where the software you need comes for Windows only.

Feb 3, 2021 11:25 PM in response to steve626

steve626 wrote:

If you will be needing to use such software frequently in the future, you could install a minimal virtual windows machine on your Mac to handle situations like this, where the software you need comes for Windows only.

Thanks.

But there is no enough disk space left on my Mac for creating a new virtual machine. Only 12 GB free space available.

Feb 6, 2021 6:50 PM in response to sskzben

First of all you do not want to use a BitLocker encrypted drive to expand the storage of a Mac. Do NOT do it! Purchase another drive unless you are willing to remove BitLocker encryption from the drive and reformat the drive with exFAT or HFS+.

There are two types of BitLocker encrypted drives. One is hardware based and the other is software based. It is unlikely you can unlock a hardware encrypted BitLocker drive on macOS. It is possible to unlock a software encrypted BitLocker drive on macOS or Linux (I have done so using Linux to recover data).

If the drive is using software encryption, then you should be able to just use Disk Utility to erase the whole physical drive as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled) if you want to use the drive exclusively for macOS or erase the physical drive as GUID partition and exFAT if you need to share the drive with Windows. This destroys all the current data on the drive.

If the drive is using hardware BitLocker encryption, then you will need to use Windows to disable the hardware BitLocker encryption or use the SSD manufacturer's proprietary app or another third party utility to reset the SSD to factory defaults using the "PSID Revert" feature which will destroy all data on the SSD and remove the hardware encryption lock on the SSD.

Can not open BitLocker drive on my macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.