Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i edit transitions in iMovie? I want to lengthen the transition. Thank you

How do i edit transitions in iMovie? I want to lengthen the transition. Thank you

Posted on Feb 2, 2021 4:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 9:01 AM

The length of a transition is limited by the length of the clips to the left and the right of the transition. If you need a very long transition extend your clips with a long still frame before and after the transition.

5 replies

Feb 3, 2021 6:55 AM in response to brx56

You can just double click on the transition and enter the length you want it to be (this can also apply to all transitions or just the one you have clicked on). However, if you have pre-selected a theme it will ask you to turn Automatic Content first. Once this is switched off I do not believe it can be turned on again for that project.

Feb 3, 2021 10:22 AM in response to brx56

It might help to review how transitions work.

Transitions hook on to the invisible residual media that is left over when you trim a video (not photo) clip. So, when you remove (trim) part of a video clip the trimmed part is not really removed but just becomes invisible in the timeline. If you try to change a transition length to make it longer than the default 2 seconds you often will get a message that there is not enough media available to change the length of the transition. This means that there is not enough residual media for the transition to overlap on to. Although it seems counter intuitive, the way to get more media for the transition is to trim back, not lengthen, the video clips on either side of the transition. That frees up more resifdual media for the transition to hook on to.

With photo clips it is different. Photos are not trimmed like a video clip but rather are shortened or lengthened in duration. Unlike a video clip, when you shorten the duration of a photo you would not be eliminating any part of the photo itself -- just displaying it for a shorter time. Since you are not eliminating any media there is no residual media created when you, for example, shorten the duration of a photo from 6 seconds to 3 seconds. As long as the photo has sufficient duration to accommodate the length of the transition you can create any length of transition that you want. If the photo is not of sufficient duration then you would increase the duration to accommodate the length of the transition. This is the opposite of video clips where you would trim back the clip instead of increasing it in order to create more residual media.

-- Rich

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.