Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No surround sound from amp

I have my 4K Apple TV connected to my Lg tv the from the optical out from my tv to my Yamaha surround sound receiver. I seem to only get a stereo signal from the amp. It doesn’t matter what apps or sources I’m using on the Apple TV. The older Apple TV with an optical connection directly to my amp worked fine. My receiver has no HDMI inputs. Any help would be appreciated

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 8:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 7:27 AM

To facilitate surround sound with the described setup, you may need to change the Apple TV Settings for Audio Format to Dolby Digital 5.1. (The default Auto setting will output PCM Multichannel if possible over HDMI, which is not compatible with optical passthrough.)

Similar questions

4 replies

No surround sound from amp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.