Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Confusion on Apple ID, family sharing and iCloud vs apple one and how best to set up our new MacBook

My partner has an Apple ID for his work phone. At home, all our devices are under my own Apple ID. He is using the family Mac and we are getting a new MacBook.

We wish to share ‘household related’ files, but not have his and my email accounts coming into the same mailbox as we have done and this is not ideal. Shall he set-up a personal Apple ID or use his work one? Do we use family sharing and move to apple one? (I use a cloud storage.) What do I register the new MacBook under?

MacBook

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 1:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 6:27 PM

Greetings Flo77,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities! It seems you and your partner have a few Apple ID accounts, and you're curious how best to set up your accounts between your devices.

Using your own Apple ID account, while your partner uses a personal Apple ID as well as a work-related Apple ID, will ensure there's no unintended data shared or personal information winding up with a work account.

Each having your own macOS user account will help keep your data and settings separate on your Mac computers. Additionally, you can share and access files via the Public folder. Check out how to set up users and share files on your Mac in the articles below:

With Family Sharing, you can share eligible purchases between accounts and help locate each other's missing devices:

Kind regards.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2021 6:27 PM in response to Flo77

Greetings Flo77,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities! It seems you and your partner have a few Apple ID accounts, and you're curious how best to set up your accounts between your devices.

Using your own Apple ID account, while your partner uses a personal Apple ID as well as a work-related Apple ID, will ensure there's no unintended data shared or personal information winding up with a work account.

Each having your own macOS user account will help keep your data and settings separate on your Mac computers. Additionally, you can share and access files via the Public folder. Check out how to set up users and share files on your Mac in the articles below:

With Family Sharing, you can share eligible purchases between accounts and help locate each other's missing devices:

Kind regards.

Confusion on Apple ID, family sharing and iCloud vs apple one and how best to set up our new MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.