Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I set up my new mac using my husbands id. How do I create my own, connect to our family account and put my macbook pro on my new account?

Our family has been sharing an apple id. I purchased a new Macbook Pro 16 a few weeks ago. We set it up on our own (covid) using the apple id under his phone #. I am getting all his notifications and would like my own id.

1. How do I stop the notifications without effecting his phone and ipad?
  2. Is it better to have my own id? How do I create and change to my own id? Can I do this from my pro? Do I delete my device from his account first and then reset up?
  3. How do I link the two accounts so I also have access to the music I purchased over the years?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 11, 2021 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2021 6:40 AM

It is normally better to have your own Apple ID. You can create the new ID on your computer. Signing out of his ID should remove the computer from his account.

Apple ID - create a new.      

Apple ID – Create         

Family Sharing.         

Family Sharing - Set up.        

When changing to the new ID, there may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion. Also set up Family Sharing between the IDs to keep access to your apps/purchases. 

Set up - your child’s iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch 

How to switch Apple IDs on your iPhone or iPad.      

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another.        

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support.     

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2021 6:40 AM in response to mzerkus

It is normally better to have your own Apple ID. You can create the new ID on your computer. Signing out of his ID should remove the computer from his account.

Apple ID - create a new.      

Apple ID – Create         

Family Sharing.         

Family Sharing - Set up.        

When changing to the new ID, there may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion. Also set up Family Sharing between the IDs to keep access to your apps/purchases. 

Set up - your child’s iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch 

How to switch Apple IDs on your iPhone or iPad.      

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another.        

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support.     

I set up my new mac using my husbands id. How do I create my own, connect to our family account and put my macbook pro on my new account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.