Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How come links to websites in AOL 6.0 mail open in Safari?

I’m using the new AOL 6.0 app. Whenever I get a link in my emails it always opens in Safari instead of my preferred web browser? Is this something new or does it just go to the quickest browser. Any help or advise would be great. Than you all.😀

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 4:52 AM

7 replies

Feb 4, 2021 8:07 AM in response to momluvstv

Good malware sites?

If you are seeking an AV product to install on your iPad, you’re perhaps wasting your effort. There are no Antivirus Products available for iOS/iPadOS. Those that claim to provide AV protection are nothing more than “snake oil” - and should be avoided.

Due to the system architecture of iOS/iPadOS, unless jailbroken (don’t go there!), your iPad is not susceptible to traditional malware infection per-se. However, as with all computer systems, there are still vulnerabilities and exploits to which you remain vulnerable.

Browser-based attacks can largely be mitigated by installing a good, trusted, Content and Ad-blocking product. One of the very best and most respected within the Apple App Store - designed for iPad, iPhone and Mac - is 1Blocker for Safari. Older devices cannot run the most recent version, however, 1Blocker Legacy is available for older iOS devices:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/legacy/id1025729002

1Blocker is highly configurable - and crucially does not rely upon an external proxy-service of dubious provenance. All processing takes place on your device - and contrary to expectations, Safari will run faster and more efficiently. 

Unwanted content is not simply filtered after download (a technique used by basic/inferior products), but instead undesirable embedded content blocked form download. A further benefit on metered services, such as cellular connections where you data may be capped or chargeable, this not only improves speed but also saves you money.

Feb 4, 2021 6:52 AM in response to momluvstv

The tags appended to your post suggest that you have an iPad mini with iOS12 installed. As such, you’ll very likely have an iPad mini2 or mini3, for which update to iOS 12.5.1 is possible.

iPadOS introduced an ability to choose your “default browser” from those installed on your iPad. Earlier versions of iOS lack the ability for the User to configure a default browser. As such, older devices with earlier versions of iOS will always open an embedded URL link in the system browser - this being iOS Safari.

iPad Air, iPad mini2 and mini3 can only be updated to iOS 12.5.1.

Apple ended major update support for these models of iPad in September 2019 - although they since continue to received “point” security updates. These devices cannot be updated to iPadOS 13 (or any later major versions of iPadOS) as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements (CPU and RAM) for newer versions of iOS/iPadOS.

If you want or need to access to Apps requiring the most recent versions of iOS, or benefit from improvements and enhancements introduced in iPadOS, you’ll need to consider replacement of your iPad with a newer or current model that supports iPadOS14.

Sorry, I appreciate that this may not be what you were hoping to learn.

I hope this information provides helpful clarity as to your available options - and the limitations of your existing iPad.

How come links to websites in AOL 6.0 mail open in Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.