Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail not syncing FROM iPhone Mail app TO Gmail

Beginning 22 Jan, my actions on my iPhone 11 Pro stopped affecting my Gmail inbox. Actions I take in my Gmail inbox do affect e-mail on my iPhone, but only e-mails I have not deleted through my phone...manipulating e-mails that I have deleted in the iPhone do nothing (including deleting them and recovering them back to the Inbox). The latter is the issue that most of these forum questions address. I cannot find my issue. This began approximately when I updated to iOS 14.3. I am currently updating to 14.4, but it doesn't indicate that this is an issue being addressed. Any help would be appreciated.

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 2:51 PM

Eric,

In that case, try removing your Gmail account from your iPhone, then adding it back. After doing that, test by deleting an email and see if the same occurs. If so, we recommend reaching out to Gmail for further assistance. We did a search and found this Gmail Help page.

Have a great day!

5 replies

Feb 7, 2021 11:24 AM in response to E78merlin

Hi E78merlin,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, actions that you take in your Gmail inbox in your Mail app on your iPhone do not affect your Gmail account.

Do you have other email addresses that you use on your iPhone? If so, do those accounts sync without any issues or does the same issue occur? Also, just to make sure we have this right, are you using the Gmail app or native Mail app?

Also, it looks like the Gmail default is to archive messages instead of deleting. To change that, go to Settings > Mail > Accounts > Gmail > [email address] > Advanced, then select deleted mailbox in the 'move discarded messages into' section. Check out Google Sync Known Issues with iOS for further information.

Take care.

Feb 7, 2021 12:26 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Joseph,

Thank you for the response. I am using the native Mail app. Until 22 Jan, it worked properly. I did change the “delete” function from archive to delete...but, the archive function served to move emails to an archive folder and that took place on the phone while leaving the email unread in my inbox in Gmail.

I had reviewed the “known issues” prior to asking the question and just reviewed it again for any changes. It does not address the issue I am having. I have tried multiple ways of troubleshooting the issue and defining the problem from both the Google and Apple side

of the IU and settings with no success.

Thank you!

Eric

Gmail not syncing FROM iPhone Mail app TO Gmail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.