Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB C / Thunderbolt Ports DEAD After 11.2

I want to preface this by saying I'm aware of another thread here expressing a similar issue - however seeing as though it's not necessarily exact to my case; I wanted to see if others were experience a similar issue to mine.

I purchased the M1 Mac Mini 16GB / 512GB model and have been using it (without issue) for a few days.

Knowing there's a limitation of how many screens can be connected I downgraded from a triple monitor setup on my Windows machine to utilize a dual monitor setup with the M1 Mini. My setup is the Mini, 2 32'' Samsung tvs - 1 connected via HDMI and the other connected via USB C to HDMI adapter.

Since updating from 11.1 to 11.2; BOTH of my USB C ports seem to be dead.

I've confirmed this by testing a few dozen USB C cables + devices. Nothing shows as connected (as though the ports are somehow turned off?)

I have tried nearly 10 different USB C to HDMI adapters and a few dozen HDMI cables (even trying a USB C to HDMI cable without an adapter) - nothing works. iPhone, keyboard, mouse etc... never can establish a connection via the two ports.

Knowing there's no manual resets (like our older Intel siblings) - I've tried to re-install macOS (4x now) - tried the Apple Configurator 2 route, restoring from Time Machine etc... nothing I do works.

Apple said the issue is 'impossible' and that even taking it to a store will be of little to no use and that I might as well BUY ANOTHER ONE. A little in shock at that answer but seeing as though others are experiencing similar issues; I wanted to try my luck at a possible fix or at least bringing this to Apple's attention more publicly (and accountably)

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 1:54 PM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

USB C / Thunderbolt Ports DEAD After 11.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.