Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot reset my security questions because it asks for answers to my security questions to reset my security questions.

I recently switched back to Apple after a 6 year hiatus. I know my email address and password. I was able to login and register my device just fine. Apple's new upgraded security policy is 2-Factor Authentication (2FA) to utilize a lot of new features and apps.

Unfortunately to enable 2FA, you must answer the security questions on the account. I answered them with the correct information. Tried different case sensitive answers. I know my answers but still no luck. I select the option to reset forgotten answers but Apple's website says I need to answer my security questions to reset my security questions. What? So I'm in a loop.

I call Apple support directly, verify my identity, tell them I have access to my email, devices and can see my personal information logging in with my password. I simply cannot reset my security questions. After 2 hours they say they can't find a solution to reset questions. They don't have a procedure to send a verification email, a text message code or even a reset link. They tell me I should try to create a new email address.

I do not understand why a new email address would be necessary if I can login with my existing address and password into my devices, make purchases and see all my old Apple data fine. They can't migrate the data, purchase history, warranty information, lock the account or even delete the account without 2FA.

To Apple Support:

Please look into this security loop you've created. Your technical teams cannot reset security questions even after proper verification. Locking the account indefinitely and telling people to manage multiple email accounts is not a solution. It is likely to create more account confusion. Please advise and fix.

Thank You

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 6:56 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Feb 4, 2021 7:08 PM in response to theindexcase

Yes indeed, I have noticed that Catch 22 when I have read that document several times in the past month. Unfortunately Apple is unlikely to see your post here since this interface is really intended for consumer users to help other users. Try selecting the appropriate subject from the ones in the link below:

Apple products feedback links - http://www.apple.com/feedback/

You're not the first one to report problems with not being able to reset security questions. Apple has now fully gone over to 2 Factor Authentication and I have yet to see somebody post back that when faced with a "too little information" message they have been able to successfully get their account back.

Feb 4, 2021 7:15 PM in response to Limnos

@Limnos, you are correct. The iforgot.apple.com reset will also fail because it reports back: "Cannot Reset Security Questions. We don’t have sufficient information to reset your security questions."

So even if you call support directly after, they see the same issue and cannot do anything. So they don't have support options to help because they're in the loop too. They can verify you but they can't reset. So effectively they're not able to administer the account.

I appreciate the reply and will share the feedback.

Thank You.

I cannot reset my security questions because it asks for answers to my security questions to reset my security questions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.