Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible solution for iMac 2009 late no booting anymore

Hi, tried everything written and what i found about this problem and no result. Also a new hard disk, reinstall etc.

When I tried to fix with the disk utility, I got the same error every time. One of the volumes remained active and could not be put inactive. At that moment I realized that there could be a mistake in that. I then transferred the OSX volume to a USB stick and after booting from it I completely emptied the hard disk and then reinstalled High Sierra and no problem any more til today.

I don't know if it is THE solution, but it has turned out to be a way to solve the problem.

Good luck John.

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 1:20 PM

Hi John,

Considering the computer is almost 13 years old and has very old components there is no telling what is wrong. If it were mine, I'd spend my resources (money and time) towards getting it's replacement. I understand if you cannot afford a new iMac, they're not cheap but you can get 12 month free financing from Apple assuming you qualify.

Other resources are buying a new Mac mini (starting at $699 + a display another $150) and you are set. Other options are buying an Apple Refurbished Mac from Apple, again qualifies for the 12 month free financing. These are nice as they are late model computers, are identical to new, come with the same warranty as new, are eligible for AppleCare, and can save hundreds of $$.

If that does not work, macsales.com and Macofalltrades.com both sell high quality used iMacs.

So you have lots of options available to you. Just food for thought.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2021 1:20 PM in response to JohnLWJ

Hi John,

Considering the computer is almost 13 years old and has very old components there is no telling what is wrong. If it were mine, I'd spend my resources (money and time) towards getting it's replacement. I understand if you cannot afford a new iMac, they're not cheap but you can get 12 month free financing from Apple assuming you qualify.

Other resources are buying a new Mac mini (starting at $699 + a display another $150) and you are set. Other options are buying an Apple Refurbished Mac from Apple, again qualifies for the 12 month free financing. These are nice as they are late model computers, are identical to new, come with the same warranty as new, are eligible for AppleCare, and can save hundreds of $$.

If that does not work, macsales.com and Macofalltrades.com both sell high quality used iMacs.

So you have lots of options available to you. Just food for thought.

Feb 6, 2021 3:49 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Sorry,

I didn't phrase my problem with the Mac correctly. Hereby again but adapted story:

I have tried everything, including what I found on forums about this problem, but unfortunately no results.

My Mac 27 inch late 2009 did continue in safe mode, but after restarting in normal mode again the system hung halfway through.

I tried to repair the system with the disk utility, but got the same error every time, one of the volumes was active and could not be tested and could not be made inactive.

That's when I realized that this volume could be the error.

I then transferred the OS X base system that was on this volume to a USB stick.

And after booting the system from this USB stick and opening the disk utility, I completely emptied the hard disk and then reinstalled High Sierra.

To date, I have not had any more problems with my Mac.

I don't know if this is THE solution, but at least for my Mac that it did not restart completely.

Good luck John.

Dear R,

Thank you for your extensive contribution. Indeed, it is the best solution to save all lost time, energy and money!

But in my case, I have enough time and no money (retired) and I like to keep such an old machine running at the lowest possible cost and it is also good for the environment.

Greetings John.

Possible solution for iMac 2009 late no booting anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.