Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 14 won't allow loaded Extensions to be turned on again (pic attached)

Running Big Sur 11.2 and Safari 14.0.3

My two main Safari Toolbar extensions, 1Password and Pocket, used to appear in the toolbar and work perfectly. However, I did some troubleshooting a few days ago, and unchecked both extensions in the Preferences: Extension tab, and now Safari will not allow them to be checked/turned on again.

The main Apple instructions on this do not work in this situation. I've tried restarting into Safe Mode multiple times, and still get this same window (shown in the attached screenshot) when trying to click them back on.

I've also tried completely removing both applications, and restarting from Safe Mode, which deletes the extensions out of Safari. I then reinstall each app, re-install the extension, but still am not able to click the extensions on.

I've also tried quitting Safari, opening up the Extension.plist here:

(~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Safari/Data/Library/Safari/AppExtensions

and verified that the file structure shows that the value for each extension is <key>Enabled</key>

I've also tried

• opening Safari > Select Develop menu in the menu bar > Experimental features > scroll down to "Reset all Defaults"
  • Quit Safari and go to ~/Library/Preferences/
  • Found all files that contain com.apple.Safari.(anything).plist to the Trash

Restarted in Safe Mode and still not able to turn on these two existing Safari extensions.

I'm wondering if there's another possible solution. Any ideas, I'm open!

thank you.

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 5:43 AM

SUCCESS. Overnight, Apple updated Safari to 14.0.3, and added a new popup window that offers a choice now when trying to turn on Extensions, basically No, or You'll Probably Regret This Yes. Both my extensions are now successfully appearing in the toolbar. Thank you, Apple :)

Similar questions

1 reply

Safari 14 won't allow loaded Extensions to be turned on again (pic attached)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.