Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2012 Macbook Pro being strange

So I have this macbook, and everything works perfectly fine, except for the keyboard and trackpad. For the keyboard, for whatever reason, when typing doesn't work. After a good week of troubleshooting, I've given into asking the forum. What I've found out is that they keyboard still registers, but for some insane reason when typing, the keyboard layout immediately switches to the "special characters" page. The only key that types is O where it types an ø. For the trackpad, it woks perfect, but sometimes it will register every click as a right click until you reboot. The really strange thing is that it does this with external mice as well. I've tried resetting the SMC multiple times, but from what I can tell it won't reset (Done both the removable and non removable battery ways.) Never spilled anything on the keyboard so it shouldn't be damaged.

MacBook

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 12:48 PM

justthatgreenguy wrote:

when typing, the keyboard layout immediately switches to the "special characters" page. The only key that types is O where it types an ø.

Getting special characters means the machine thinks the option key (or option plus shift) is always depressed, often a sign of damage (even if nothing ever spilled).

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2021 12:48 PM in response to justthatgreenguy

justthatgreenguy wrote:

when typing, the keyboard layout immediately switches to the "special characters" page. The only key that types is O where it types an ø.

Getting special characters means the machine thinks the option key (or option plus shift) is always depressed, often a sign of damage (even if nothing ever spilled).

Feb 6, 2021 11:18 AM in response to justthatgreenguy

justthatgreenguy wrote:

So I have this macbook, and everything works perfectly fine, except for the keyboard and trackpad. For the keyboard, for whatever reason, when typing doesn't work. After a good week of troubleshooting, I've given into asking the forum. What I've found out is that they keyboard still registers, but for some insane reason when typing, the keyboard layout immediately switches to the "special characters" page. The only key that types is O where it types an ø. For the trackpad, it woks perfect, but sometimes it will register every click as a right click until you reboot. The really strange thing is that it does this with external mice as well. I've tried resetting the SMC multiple times, but from what I can tell it won't reset (Done both the removable and non removable battery ways.) Never spilled anything on the keyboard so it shouldn't be damaged.

The 2012 is considered no removable battery. The removal batteries goes back to the plastic Macs that had a battery trap door on the bottom side.

This could be the trackpad/keyboard cable.

Was there liquid damage at any point in time?

Key board and trackpad would be: resetting NVRAM/PRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

not SMC

Feb 6, 2021 11:59 AM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

I had a mid 2012 MBP and the battery was easily replaced (this was the last model to be user accessible). I changed it; I also upgraded the slow drive to an SSD and more RAM.

https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro-13-unibody-mid12/

"easily removable " = no tools

"removable" like the 2012 we all had in the past is "removable with the right tools." this is quite different and does not change the outcome of a SMC reset.

The wording has changed but the new wording is more specific.

The HT —"Notebook computers with a battery that can be removed

This applies to all MacBook Pro and MacBook models introduced in early 2009 or earlier, as well as the MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2009).

SMC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Remember the sweet Macbook G3 and G4 trap door on the bottom

Even the glued in batteries are "removable"

2012 Macbook Pro being strange

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.