Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are ics files *still* not supported with iCal?

I scheduled an appointment with the Genius Bar in Chrome for iOS, I don’t use Safari, never will. It offers to add it to my calendar once I make the appointment. I tap the link and then it wants to download an ics file. I come across this problem constantly with iPhone and my iPad. I don’t get what is so complicated about making this common functionality/file type, that’s been around for over a decade, actually work. Surely there’s a way to do it.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 2nd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 7:21 AM

Ok no, this is not a solution at all. There's no server address involved, it's just a file you download and open and in all other calendar apps for the last 15 years it will auto add the entry.

5 replies

Feb 8, 2021 7:45 AM in response to Nathan McKaskle

Well, I can say with complete certainty that iOS/iPadOS supports adding of .ics (iCal) appointments to the native Calendar. I use this feature all the time.

As your problem appears to clearly lie with the Google Chrome browser, you’ll perhaps need to address your issue with the App developer - this being Google.

As an aside, from the viewpoint of professional curiosity, I would be interested to understand your opening comment as to avoidance of the Safari browser.

Feb 8, 2021 7:56 AM in response to LotusPilot

Well, that link did not give instructions on how to open ics files with the calendar. It required a "server address", which makes no sense as far as file associations.

I prefer to keep my browsers consistent across all devices which are not all Apple devices or operating systems. Safari is like Internet Explorer, it's got a lot of problems with a lot of different websites, or has had problems in the past. Also I use Google to manage passwords so Safari isn't going to have access to these. I'm also a Google Cloud Engineer so that adds to yet more reasons to use Chrome.

Feb 8, 2021 8:30 AM in response to Nathan McKaskle

Whenever I receive an .ics calendar appointment via email, or tap an iCal link from Safari (currently configured as the iPadOS default browser), the calendar appointment simply opens in the native Calendar App; here the details of the appointment can be refined - and assigned to one of the configured calendars (of which you may have many, such as Calendar (i.e., system), Home, Work etc.).

Safari has developed considerably over recent years. Since release of iOS/iPadOS13, it is now a full desktop browser. It is stable, efficient, highly secure and focusses heavily on user privacy. I’ll perhaps, in the circumstances, refrain from comment as to Google Apps in this context.

Drawing comparison of Safari with MS browsers is also perhaps misplaced. IE and Edge have certainly been problematic across all platforms including MS-native. You’ll note that the latest iteration is now based upon the Chromium browser.

Moving on to password autofill, you perhaps unaware that with the Google Chrome browser App installed - Safari can access and autofill credentials stored in Google-land. As such, when enabled, you might yet consider lifting the blinkers and taking a fresh look at iPadOS Safari.

Settings > Passwords > AutoFill Passwords > [Allow Filling From] Chrome - enable/tick

Why are ics files *still* not supported with iCal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.