Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sign in with Apple ID

I see a message appear when i log into my Catalina Desktop verions 10.15.7 "Sign in with Apple ID"

Why does it want me to log in with Apple ID and what do I miss if I don't?

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 3:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 1:12 PM

macfrombrampton wrote:
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/f7d5915b-c08c-422d-9e0c-fe4d534f683f

Why would I login to this menu ?

"Why does it want me to log in with Apple ID and what do I miss if I don't?"

The only thing you "miss" would be the options it offers there, mostly iCloud functions for different programs and services. Since you can access the App Store directly anyway, and that's all you need, there is no need for you to log in with your Apple ID, but the fact that you have not logged in with your Apple ID is the reason it is prompting you. Apple devices are designed to be used in connection with an active Apple ID, but if you don't need the associated services, no harm done in ignoring it. The only way I know to avoid that prompt is to actually log in on the System Preferences pane or when prompted. Just ignore or dismiss it if you don't want to log in.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2021 1:12 PM in response to macfrombrampton

macfrombrampton wrote:
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/f7d5915b-c08c-422d-9e0c-fe4d534f683f

Why would I login to this menu ?

"Why does it want me to log in with Apple ID and what do I miss if I don't?"

The only thing you "miss" would be the options it offers there, mostly iCloud functions for different programs and services. Since you can access the App Store directly anyway, and that's all you need, there is no need for you to log in with your Apple ID, but the fact that you have not logged in with your Apple ID is the reason it is prompting you. Apple devices are designed to be used in connection with an active Apple ID, but if you don't need the associated services, no harm done in ignoring it. The only way I know to avoid that prompt is to actually log in on the System Preferences pane or when prompted. Just ignore or dismiss it if you don't want to log in.

Feb 6, 2021 8:21 PM in response to macfrombrampton

Depending on how your Mac was originally set up, if you have set up an Apple ID with it to use, say, with Apple Music, the App Store, Messages, Apple's iCloud services (for synchronizing between multiple devices with Photos, Contacts, Mail, Calendars etc. etc.), but for some reason you logged out (or never logged in) to iCloud or to your Apple ID on this Mac, it will remind you like this to log in to your Apple ID in order to activate those services. Following the prompt and logging in to your Apple ID will make using these services go more smoothly. For instance, if your Apple ID is not logged in, Messages that come in to your iPhone won't be shown in the Mac Messages program. And so forth.

Most people set up their Macs to automatically log in to their Apple ID (and stay logged in) when the Mac is booted but you don't have to, it's more or less a matter of personal preference and convenience.

Sign in with Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.