Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo library disappeared from an Ext. Hard drive

I'm used to have the Photo library in an external USB WD hard drive. Because of loss of power in my house, it happened in the past that when I try to open Photo the system lost the connection to the library and I'm obliged to browse and tell where the library is. Last day I tried to do as usual but I realize that the library was not available anymore in the drive. Checking with Disk utility data was there, but no way to have the pictures back or repaired the library. Surfing in the internet I found a sw that allow me to scan and recover that files (luckly)...I didn't complete the process yet, but my question is that in the recovery sw I see the Photo Library as a standard folder with all the database info, metadata and the pictures files. Now my question is if I will have to rebuild my Photo library after the recovery or if somebody know that automatically MAC recognize this folder as a library and I have to simply open it with Photo to have my Photo back as before.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 1:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 11:44 PM

@Yer_man,

using this recovering tool I got the full library back to life. I had to wait several hours to have it restored, but seems everything is working properly. Now need to find a way to do some kind of automatic back up of the ext drive. It's incredible that Time Machine seems not able to handle that.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2021 11:44 PM in response to Yer_Man

@Yer_man,

using this recovering tool I got the full library back to life. I had to wait several hours to have it restored, but seems everything is working properly. Now need to find a way to do some kind of automatic back up of the ext drive. It's incredible that Time Machine seems not able to handle that.

Feb 7, 2021 1:36 AM in response to TonyCollinet

By the way - it looks like the drive you had the library on is formatted fat32. If so, that is not suitable for a photos library, and may well be part of the reason for the lost data.

To correctly prepare the external drive:

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives)

It Must not be (or have been) used for time machine.

It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked.

It should not be on a memory stick, SD or similar.

It must also not be a network drive (a direct connection is required - eg USB or Thunderbolt).

File sharing services such as iCloud Drive, Drop box, Onedrive etc are not compatible with Photos libraries.

It must also not be a network drive (a direct connection is required - eg USB or Thunderbolt). File sharing services such as iCloud Drive, Drop box, Onedrive etc are not compatible with Photos libraries.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Feb 7, 2021 1:44 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Probably you are right, but if you look in the picture that I shared the foto library in under the Mybook APFS. I'm checking all the requirements, most of them are met need to check next time that I setup the library to have "ignore...." and most probably I will change to MacOS extended instead of APFS, that I understood is more for SS (Solid State) drives. Regarding TM is glad to see that is possible to have external drive included, but right now the WD Mybook it's not excluded from the TM, but the backup didn't worked so far.

Feb 12, 2021 1:08 AM in response to MarcoL72

Time Machine can include properly formatted external volumes into the backup, unless it is on the exclude list. And unless it is on the Time Machine drive itself.

One thing to keep in mind - use a Time Machine volume large enough to hold more than twice the combined size of all volumes you want to backup, or it will be no joy, because Time Machine will forever be "cleaning up" and "freeing space".

Photo library disappeared from an Ext. Hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.