Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can an IMEI number stolen by a scammer be used against me?

I was in a situation with a scammer where I was chatting online with Sprint about getting a new SIM card for my new-to-me iPhone 11. The conversation became suspicious and I discovered the person on the other end of the chat was not a Sprint representative at all! I, of course, contacted Sprint to file a report.

But my question is: I did give this scammer some information before I caught on he was not from Sprint. I gave him the IMEI to my new phone (the one I’m awaiting a SIM card for). I also gave my phone number. No other information was given. To my knowledge, he did not have access to my Sprint account or my credit card information.

Is there anything he can do with just my iPhone’s IMEI number and my phone number? Should I be concerned about activating my device once my new SIM card arrives?

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 7:29 AM

Without any passwords or personal details given the worst impact may be spam. Your IMEI is harvested quite easily online as is your phone number on occasions. Although iphone on ios14.4 will spoof a false IMEI when on wifi.

Your most important security assets to keep to yourself are your phone passcode and your AppleID password

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2021 7:29 AM in response to Wolffam

Without any passwords or personal details given the worst impact may be spam. Your IMEI is harvested quite easily online as is your phone number on occasions. Although iphone on ios14.4 will spoof a false IMEI when on wifi.

Your most important security assets to keep to yourself are your phone passcode and your AppleID password

Can an IMEI number stolen by a scammer be used against me?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.