Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen mirroring

I have a MacBook Air mid 2014 running Big Sur. I am looking to screen mirror to my iPad Air 2018. Is there a way to do this?

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 10:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 2:21 PM

I perhaps misunderstood your question. A Mac or PC can use the iPad as a second display - but iPad cannot extend its display to a Mac or PC.

In more detail...

iPad Pro is not currently capable of offering an “extended desktop” experience - such as that to which you may be accustomed on other computing platforms. The new Sidecar feature provides limited scope to use iPad as Second screen from Mac - but not the other way around.

Your iPad can drive an external display using AirPlay - or via HDMI (and appropriate adapter where needed) - but neither can re-scale the iPad output to match the native resolution of an attached monitor.

There are some iPad Apps in the App Store that provide some external connectivity options for PC and Mac (such as Duet and Duet Pro). These can be expensive - and have mixed reviews.

Here is a third-party comparison of some of the options - including a detailed look at SideCar.

https://thesweetsetup.com/apps/best-app-for-using-an-ipad-as-an-external-display/

I hope this proves to helpful in guiding you to some of the available solutions.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2021 2:21 PM in response to alnick

I perhaps misunderstood your question. A Mac or PC can use the iPad as a second display - but iPad cannot extend its display to a Mac or PC.

In more detail...

iPad Pro is not currently capable of offering an “extended desktop” experience - such as that to which you may be accustomed on other computing platforms. The new Sidecar feature provides limited scope to use iPad as Second screen from Mac - but not the other way around.

Your iPad can drive an external display using AirPlay - or via HDMI (and appropriate adapter where needed) - but neither can re-scale the iPad output to match the native resolution of an attached monitor.

There are some iPad Apps in the App Store that provide some external connectivity options for PC and Mac (such as Duet and Duet Pro). These can be expensive - and have mixed reviews.

Here is a third-party comparison of some of the options - including a detailed look at SideCar.

https://thesweetsetup.com/apps/best-app-for-using-an-ipad-as-an-external-display/

I hope this proves to helpful in guiding you to some of the available solutions.

Screen mirroring

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.