Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps freeze when starting up on my iMac

Hi, I am getting a problem where apps often freeze when I try to start them up. I have reinstalled the OS (Catalina 10.15.7) twice, I have flushed the app cache in the library also twice, and I have uninstalled MacBooster - since I was told that could be the problem. I uninstalled and resinstalled MS Office, since those were the apps I was using most often. On each fix, the computer is quite responsive for a few days, and then it's back to beachballs. So I spend a lot of my working time fixing - or trying to fix - problems that are preventing me from actually working.

Today I tried to open an Excel file. It took more than two minutes from the app starting to bounce in the dock to me eventually getting a message saying 'application not responding.' I then tried to open the file in Numbers. No result. Similar when I tried to open Outlook.

This happens in other apps too.

Apart from putting my fist through the screen, are there any other options for fixing this problem?

Note, tech specs are iMac late 2013, 2.7GHz Quad Core Intel Core i5, 8Gb RAM.

Paul

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 7:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 7:33 PM

Hi glyderfach,

I believe we need to proceed with an EtreCheck report. EtreCheck is a useful app to diagnose issues, both hardware and software. It is trusted by many users. Please follow the steps outlined below:

1. Go to the Mac App Store and search for "EtreCheck."
  2. Download it. It is a free and trusted app; as it is on the Mac App Store, and only trusted apps can be submitted.
  3. Run the report, and put it in a post, as seen here - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211
  4. If it asks for Full Disk Access, follow the prompts to enable it.

I think that you should also run Apple Diagnostics -  Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Please post results of both!

Cheers,

Jack

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2021 7:33 PM in response to glyderfach

Hi glyderfach,

I believe we need to proceed with an EtreCheck report. EtreCheck is a useful app to diagnose issues, both hardware and software. It is trusted by many users. Please follow the steps outlined below:

1. Go to the Mac App Store and search for "EtreCheck."
  2. Download it. It is a free and trusted app; as it is on the Mac App Store, and only trusted apps can be submitted.
  3. Run the report, and put it in a post, as seen here - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211
  4. If it asks for Full Disk Access, follow the prompts to enable it.

I think that you should also run Apple Diagnostics -  Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Please post results of both!

Cheers,

Jack

Feb 7, 2021 8:53 PM in response to glyderfach

Yup. The failing hard drive is it. Backup all data immediately, as soon you will loose access to it if it completely fails. You can either setup service for your Mac at an Apple Store or look at purchasing a new iMac, as yours is getting old, and something else might have an issue soon as well.

Also, delete Kaspersky and NordVPN. They are not good on Mac and could cause other issues.

Cheers,

Jack

Apps freeze when starting up on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.