Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 13 (Retina, 2016 w/o Touch Bar, two Thunderbolt 3) OVERHEATS WHEN CHARGING

The laptop will become hot if I plug it in. It does NOT matter if I will be using it (i.e. browsing web) or leave it in SLEEP, with LID CLOSED. It will become EXTREMELY HOT (i.e. 45 degrees Celsius on the top and lower surface near the processor) until forced shutdown. Sometimes charging it when it is SHUT DOWN will ALSO cause similar symptoms.

The screen will flash a FOLDER WITH QUESTION MARK after plugged in for several hours in addition to being very hot.

Despite the high temperature, THE FAN WILL NOT SPIN. In fact I cannot remember any situation where the fan spins (even when using the system to do intensive tasks like compiling movies). The fan WILL SPIN (extremely loudly and effectively) in System Diagnostics (hence the fan is fully operational)

Startups to "Mac Recovery" (before, after, or days after such an event) will NOT show the internal SSD, BUT the System (Mac OS High Sierra) can be booted as normal. Rescue disk from Mac OS does NOT make any noticeable changes.

Sounds like firmware issue. System is UP TO DATE (macOS High Sierra ver 10.13.6).

I cannot verify if I did reset the NVRAM on my Macbook using the key combo of Command-Option-P-R. The screen will be black for the entirety of the duration of the key combo (about 20 second) before the regular mac logo (and loading bar) appears. No startup chime can be heard during this process, but the system is on (vibration when pressing touch pad)

THE DISK IS REPLACED at a AUTHORIZED APPLE SERVICE PROVIDER. Apple Diagnostics warned of a OLD BATTERY that FUNCTIONS NORMALLY (and NO other warnings)

The charger is GENUINE Apple (and in fact is the same one shipped in the box). The cord also comes along.

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 8:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 7:03 AM

Actually, you know what?

I booted it into recovery mode a couple seconds ago. There it entered the "folder with questionmark" state.

___

So I'm not going to deal with this crap. I will just use this system until it dies then I'll toss it out.

Wonderful support.

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 8, 2021 6:48 AM in response to leroydouglas

"Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN"

The System is as fresh as a newly picked apple.

It doesn't even have pages, numbers, and keynote.

"Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures"

It was usually put in a 10°C room on a glass desktop with nothing on top/behind/under it. If it was not in this case then it's in a 20°C room on a glass desktop with indirect sunlight exposure (really?) with nothing on top/behind/under it.

"Try resetting the SMC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295"

Again, I said that I can't verify that I had done that. See post 1.

OK I had not mentioned that I had done that. My apologies. Resetting this do seem to solve the occasional hiccup related to "Internal SSD not detected" error.

Also, resetting NVRAM and SMC every single time I shutdown/boot isn't considered a "good" fix. However I will note if resetting NVRAM and SMC will help the problem go away.

___

___

I was monitoring the system using activity monitor, but the problem with this is that the overheat will NOT occur if the system is up (i.e. display on, user interface accessible) and only during inactive periods (i.e. sleep and/or lid closed). This way or that the activity monitor showed nothing special.

___

___

A quick trip to event viewer showed that the overheating might have things to do with how the system responds to the SSD (which is related to the hiccup of the disk now showing up in recovery mode), WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO BE FIXED BY CHANGING IT AT A AUTHORIZED SERVICE PROVIDER!

Brunh.

Macbook Pro 13 (Retina, 2016 w/o Touch Bar, two Thunderbolt 3) OVERHEATS WHEN CHARGING

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.