Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not install Big Sur on 2019 27in iMac

Trying to install Big Sur onto my 2019 iMac, 27 inch 3.7 GHz.

I previously tried creating a boot drive on a USB memory stick to try to preserve access to 32bit apps. Memory stick meets all the requirements for this but couldn't get the boot drive to work.

Gave up on that and now just trying to install Big Sur, upgrading from Mojave.

The software begins the installation process and then just shuts down the computer. Just turns it off, doesn't restart at all. I understand that restarts are typically part of the upgrading process but after 15 minutes of nothing happening (no computer sounds at all) I pressed the power button on the back of the computer, white apple logo appeared for a few moments and then computer just clicked off. Tried again, same result.

Starting in recovery mode allowed me to re-choose the start up disk and computer would restart from the installed Mojave version.

Nothing I've done is any different from the "How to install Big Sur" page on Apple.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 6:05 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 8, 2021 11:02 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Computer won’t restart if safe mode.

Hold down shift button.

White Apple logo comes up, white bar crawls across below it and then just hangs at full bar.

Disc utility programs all show everything is working fine.

Have no problem with computer in Mojave but some newer apps need a newer OS.

Have never had problems upgrade Macs since using OS6 back in the ancient past.

Can not install Big Sur on 2019 27in iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.