Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating to MacOS Big Sur

My iMac refuses to boot MacOS Big Sur. It is a 2017 iMac, so it is eligible for the update and I've got sufficient storage and system requirements. This is the process that happens very time I try:

• successfully downloads Big Sur
  • Big Sur installer application loads successfully and prompts me to restart
  • the progress bar loads to about 5-10% of the way
  • my computer restarts itself, then loads to the same point and repeats this over again

I have left it doing this restarting all night several times, and it has just carried on for upwards of 8 hours both times.

I have done what has been recommended by apple, even using time machine and completely resetting my computer (from which it managed to update to Catalina) but none of this has been successful for Big Sur. It is difficult to take a desktop computer to my local shop at the best of times, never mind during a pandemic. Does anybody have any other suggestions other than booking a genius bar appointment?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 9:09 AM

havara wrote:

• My iMac refuses to boot MacOS Big Sur. It is a 2017 iMac, so it is eligible for the update and I've got sufficient storage and system requirements. This is the process that happens very time I try:

successfully downloads Big Sur
• my computer restarts itself, then loads to the same point and repeats this over again

I have left it doing this restarting all night several times, and it has just carried on for upwards of 8 hours both times.

I have done what has been recommended by apple, even using time machine and completely resetting my computer (from which it managed to update to Catalina) but none of this has been successful for Big Sur. It is difficult to take a desktop computer to my local shop at the best of times, never mind during a pandemic. Does anybody have any other suggestions other than booking a genius bar appointment?

Verify you have available free storage—

Big Sur states that you will need 35.5 GB of free storage when upgrading from High Sierra or newer, and 44.5 GB when upgrading from an older versions.

After that reboot into SafeBoot mode and try again. SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2021 9:09 AM in response to havara

havara wrote:

• My iMac refuses to boot MacOS Big Sur. It is a 2017 iMac, so it is eligible for the update and I've got sufficient storage and system requirements. This is the process that happens very time I try:

successfully downloads Big Sur

Verify you have available free storage—

Big Sur states that you will need 35.5 GB of free storage when upgrading from High Sierra or newer, and 44.5 GB when upgrading from an older versions.

After that reboot into SafeBoot mode and try again. SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Jan 1, 2021 1:54 PM in response to havara

just offhand. it sounds as if you downloaded a corrupt version of Big Sur. By any chance did you do the download via Wi-Fi? That often causes corruption and either the file can't complete the download, it won't install, or if it does, you get problems. I would try a clean new download using a wired Ethernet connection. See what happens then.

Updating to MacOS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.