Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac 2017

My Imac 2017 is really slow even after reinstallation of MacOS, what can I do? Running Big Sur

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 11:15 AM

10 replies

Feb 8, 2021 11:23 AM in response to harison289

Hi harison289,

I believe we need to proceed with an EtreCheck report. EtreCheck is a useful app to diagnose issues, both hardware and software. It is trusted by many users. Please follow the steps outlined below:

1. Go to the Mac App Store and search for "EtreCheck."
  2. Download it. It is a free and trusted app; as it is on the Mac App Store, and only trusted apps can be submitted.
  3. Run the report, and put it in a post, as seen here - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

I think that you should also run Apple Diagnostics -  Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Please post results of both!

Cheers,

Jack

Feb 8, 2021 4:47 PM in response to harison289

Hello harison289!

Since Catalina and Big Sur require faster, more capable hard drives to operate as efficiently as possible, I was told that upgrading my 5400 RPM mechanical internal HD to an internal SSD would make Big Sur run faster on my iMac. Or, I could choose to get and use an external SSD as a boot drive, which would allow me to run Big Sur from it. I have chosen to go with the internal SSD.

I have the 2017 iMac, just as you have mentioned, but I was not able to spec it as I would have liked, because it was given to me as a gift. I am now going to upgrade the HD to an SSD, this week, and hope for a better computing experience with this iMac and Big Sur.

If you were to go to buy an iMac from the Apple Store or its online counterpart, you will see that all iMacs, including the lowest level 2017, are only offered with SSDs, now, starting at 256GB. So, that tells me that Apple was well-aware that the mechanical drives were not going to be very efficient in handling its new MacOS offerings.

Therefore, I would suggest either replacing your internal HD with an SSD, or using an external SSD as your boot drive.

Just adding my two cents.

Good Luck to you!

AntBee

Imac 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.