Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no arrangement tab showing in displays

I want to use my second mac as a monitor but have no "arrangement" tab showing in displays. I hooked the two macs together with a lightning connection but they don't see each other. running big sur

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 9:35 AM

Howdy,

Target Display Mode does not use Lightning connections.

Which iMac are you using as a 2nd display and what OS is it running?

Not all iMacs can be used in Target Display Mode or as the main computer, and the "display iMac" must be on macOS High Sierra or earlier.

From Use your iMac as a display with target display mode

You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display. Learn how to identify your iMac model.

Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later.

FYI,

I connected my iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 to my

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Mid 2015) running macOS Big Sur 11.2

using a Thunderbolt 2 cable

and the 2013 iMac worked fine in Target Display Mode as an external display (Command-F2 to switch).

ivan

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2021 9:35 AM in response to cvcvcv1

Howdy,

Target Display Mode does not use Lightning connections.

Which iMac are you using as a 2nd display and what OS is it running?

Not all iMacs can be used in Target Display Mode or as the main computer, and the "display iMac" must be on macOS High Sierra or earlier.

From Use your iMac as a display with target display mode

You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display. Learn how to identify your iMac model.

Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later.

FYI,

I connected my iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 to my

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Mid 2015) running macOS Big Sur 11.2

using a Thunderbolt 2 cable

and the 2013 iMac worked fine in Target Display Mode as an external display (Command-F2 to switch).

ivan

no arrangement tab showing in displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.