Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AOL mail changes and security notice in 2021

I have an iphone 7 & using mail app for all my AOL mail accounts.

Just received an email to my primary email but not sure if this is real or phishing? Copied and pasted below.

We noticed you've accessed your AOL email, calendar or contacts using a mobile app or computer program that isn't the AOL app. We're emailing you because the security settings this app or program uses to connect to AOL may be out of date. You need to take action to continue using your AOL email without interruption.

If you've already taken action, there's nothing else you need to do. If you haven't yet made changes, your action is required by June 1, 2021 to avoid interruption with your AOL Mail service.

What's changing?

To help protect the security of your account, starting on June 1, 2021, AOL will stop allowing connections from some third-party apps and programs unless you take action. Examples of third-party desktop programs include Thunderbird, Outlook, Apple Mail and Windows Mail, and third-party mobile apps include the iOS Mail app, Gmail app and Samsung Mail app, among others.

What do I need to do?

You have 3 options to continue sending and receiving AOL email:

Option 1. Use our free AOL app for iOS and Android to access your email, calendar and contacts, or use AOL webmail at mail.aol.com.

Option 2. Remove your AOL account from your third-party app or program, then add it again. This will update the app or program's connection to your AOL account to meet our security requirements. Make sure you know your AOL password before removing and re-adding your account. If you can't remember your password, go here for help with resetting it.

Use the links below to get help for common email clients and apps:

Option 3. Generate a unique app password that gives your third-party app or program permission to log in to your AOL account, then update your app or program settings to use this password. Go here to get step-by-step help with creating and using app passwords.

Remember: If your third-party email app or program ever stops working, you can always access your AOL email, calendar and contacts using the AOL app or at mail.aol.com.

Your account security is important to us. To get more help with making these updates, please visit our help page.

Is this a legitimate email? Will AOL be dropping all these phone apps??

Is

Sincerely,

The AOL Team

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 1:19 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Feb 8, 2021 2:25 PM in response to MacGal6

MacGal6 wrote:

I have an iphone 7 & using mail app for all my AOL mail accounts.
Just received an email to my primary email but not sure if this is real or phishing? Copied and pasted below.

We noticed you've accessed your AOL email, calendar or contacts using a mobile app or computer program that isn't the AOL app. We're emailing you because the security settings this app or program uses to connect to AOL may be out of date. You need to take action to continue using your AOL email without interruption.

If you've already taken action, there's nothing else you need to do. If you haven't yet made changes, your action is required by June 1, 2021 to avoid interruption with your AOL Mail service.

What's changing?

To help protect the security of your account, starting on June 1, 2021, AOL will stop allowing connections from some third-party apps and programs unless you take action. Examples of third-party desktop programs include Thunderbird, Outlook, Apple Mail and Windows Mail, and third-party mobile apps include the iOS Mail app, Gmail app and Samsung Mail app, among others.

What do I need to do?

You have 3 options to continue sending and receiving AOL email:

Option 1. Use our free AOL app for iOS and Android to access your email, calendar and contacts, or use AOL webmail at mail.aol.com.

Option 2. Remove your AOL account from your third-party app or program, then add it again. This will update the app or program's connection to your AOL account to meet our security requirements. Make sure you know your AOL password before removing and re-adding your account. If you can't remember your password, go here for help with resetting it.

Use the links below to get help for common email clients and apps:

• iOS Mail
• Gmail
• Samsung Mail
• Other apps and programs

Option 3. Generate a unique app password that gives your third-party app or program permission to log in to your AOL account, then update your app or program settings to use this password. Go here to get step-by-step help with creating and using app passwords.

Remember: If your third-party email app or program ever stops working, you can always access your AOL email, calendar and contacts using the AOL app or at mail.aol.com.

Your account security is important to us. To get more help with making these updates, please visit our help page.
Is this a legitimate email? Will AOL be dropping all these phone apps??
Is
Sincerely,
The AOL Team
https://s.aolcdn.com/membership/yahoo/1118/spacer.gif

a good question to ask AOL or look at their support site.

AOL mail changes and security notice in 2021

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.