Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old External Hard Drive Connect to 2020 IPad Pro

Hello all,

Just wanted to know if it is possible to connect an old external hard drive (1TB) to the new IPad Pro? I had an old mac book that I used the external hard drive for and I have since moved over to the IPad Pro and need to access my Apple files I saved on my external hard drive.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 4:00 PM

iPadOS provides limited support for external Hard Disk storage.

An external HDD can be connected to your iPad with the Apple adapter appropriate for your model of iPad - if the HDD is both partitioned and formatted appropriately (i.e., a single partition - formatted as FAT32, exFAT, APFS or HFS+). 

You should also note that the iPad is not capable of providing sufficient power to run an HDD. If the HDD does not have its own source of power - then external power must be supplied to the HDD using the connecting adapter - or by connecting both the iPad and HDD to a powered USB hub.

I hope you find this to be helpful in providing some useful clarity.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2021 4:00 PM in response to CDool05

iPadOS provides limited support for external Hard Disk storage.

An external HDD can be connected to your iPad with the Apple adapter appropriate for your model of iPad - if the HDD is both partitioned and formatted appropriately (i.e., a single partition - formatted as FAT32, exFAT, APFS or HFS+). 

You should also note that the iPad is not capable of providing sufficient power to run an HDD. If the HDD does not have its own source of power - then external power must be supplied to the HDD using the connecting adapter - or by connecting both the iPad and HDD to a powered USB hub.

I hope you find this to be helpful in providing some useful clarity.

Old External Hard Drive Connect to 2020 IPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.