Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Typing Mode: ^ Tab to exit

I have an iPad with a Bluetooth keyboard. For several months it’s worked like a charm. About 2 weeks ago I noticed that if I hit the tab button or the cursor keys it would change into a mode that highlighted icons or features on the app that I was working on. If you touched those keys again it scrolled between the highlighted options. In addition, the screen was outlined with a blue box. Yesterday the keyboard seemed to quit working, but it started working again today. When the unusual mode started, I got a message at the top of the screen that read “Typing Mode: ^ Tab to exit”. I’m not sure what that does, but it didn’t fix my problem. Any suggestions? I just want my keyboard to work the way it used to.

Much thanks for any help.

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 5:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 4:30 PM

Have you perhaps enabled Full Keyboard Access in Settings?

Settings > Accessibility > Keyboards > [Hardware Keyboards] Full Keyboard Access > Full Keyboard Access > ON | OFF

If ON, set to OFF.

Similar questions

1 reply

Typing Mode: ^ Tab to exit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.