Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is iTunes search when using Big Sur

I can't see where to search for music to buy in iTunes from my laptop using Big Sur system. All the responses I see in the Apple Community seem to pertain to Catalina which does not operate the same.

Why is Apple making it so hard to just buy music? I don't want a subscription.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 9:18 AM

8 replies

Feb 9, 2021 10:14 AM in response to Pargus

It works exactly as shown in the illustration for me on my M1 MacBook Air. That image is taken from Big Sur, In Catalina Music is grey where Big Sur's version is red, but otherwise things appear to be identical. I can type the name of an album or band in the search control at the top left, and select iTunes Store at the top right. I get results from the iTunes Store, complete with prices should I wish to make a purchase*.

Instead of telling us the advice is wrong why not describe where you are getting stuck trying to follow it.

* I've got Big Sur and Catalina side by side. They look the same, but Big Sur isn't recognizing some of prior purchases which is wrong, but is a different problem.

tt2

Feb 9, 2021 7:48 PM in response to turingtest2

Ahhhh. How bizarre. So if I'm in the iTunes store (after selecting iTunes in the left column), to search for a song I have to exit the iTunes store (which happens automatically when I press the "Search" field at the top of the left column), then select iTunes store again from the list that now appears on the upper right, THEN i can search the iTunes store.

Thanks for pointing out where the upper right iTunes option was. In the Catalina response I had looked at before starting this thread, there wasn't an image and it referred to an icon on the upper right. I had taken from that explanation that it was always supposed to be there, not only when search was selected, and was thus looking for an icon in the Music menubar instead of the text selection. Should have seen it anyway, of course, but...

Very klutzy for an Apple interface. Thanks for helping me untangle it.

Where is iTunes search when using Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.