Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trusted devices

Why does apple make us use the worst form of 2fa ever? Trusted devices? Who in their right mind owns more than one apple device? These days nobody should these people are ridiculous. Multiple times now where I have had a phone break and I need to log in to either my or a loved ones apple account, but uh oh next thing you know you can't login, even with the correct passwords because apple wants to send you a code or a text to your phone. This is the dumbest company I have every had the displeasure of buying from. Seriously I understand security, but this is such a broken fucking system that you end up spending weeks on phone calls to apple trying to get it contact with apple without using your broken or bricked device. I have a phone stuck in boot loop but nobody is able to get into the apple account to reset and update the device without being able to get in. TERRIBLE

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 1:57 PM

Receive a text message or phone call

If you don’t have a trusted device to hand, you can get a verification code sent to your trusted phone number as a text message or phone call.

1. Click “Didn’t get a verification code?” on the sign-in screen.
  2. Choose to get the code sent to your trusted phone number.
  3. You’ll receive a text message or phone call from Apple with your verification code.
  4. Enter the code on your other device to complete the sign-in process.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2021 1:57 PM in response to Banshevus31

Receive a text message or phone call

If you don’t have a trusted device to hand, you can get a verification code sent to your trusted phone number as a text message or phone call.

1. Click “Didn’t get a verification code?” on the sign-in screen.
  2. Choose to get the code sent to your trusted phone number.
  3. You’ll receive a text message or phone call from Apple with your verification code.
  4. Enter the code on your other device to complete the sign-in process.

Feb 9, 2021 1:58 PM in response to Banshevus31

Trusted devices

A trusted device is an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 9 or later, or Mac with OS X El Capitan or later that you've already signed in to using two-factor authentication. It’s a device we know is yours and that can be used to verify your identity by displaying a verification code from Apple when you sign in on a different device or browser. An Apple Watch with watchOS 6 or later can receive verification codes when you sign in with your Apple ID, but cannot act as a trusted device for password resets. 

Trusted phone numbers

A trusted phone number is a number that can be used to receive verification codes by text message or automated phone call. You must verify at least one trusted phone number to enroll in two-factor authentication.

You should also consider verifying an additional phone number you can access, such as a home phone, or a number used by a family member or close friend. You can use this number if you temporarily can't access your primary number or your own devices.

Feb 9, 2021 2:04 PM in response to Banshevus31

Banshevus31 wrote:

Why does apple make us use the worst form of 2fa ever? Trusted devices? Who in their right mind owns more than one apple device?

Lots of people do. In fact it's quite common. However, you don't have to have multiple Apple devices to use 2FA. You can use any phone number as a trusted number. I use my work landline (okay, not so useful right now) and my Google Voice number.

Trusted devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.