Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This is strange: Apple sends the code to the trusted device, asking to prompt it into an old, factory reset, device

So, this senior friend I help with devices upgraded to the latest iOS15 and had this strange problem. He then upgraded to iOS16 too, hoping to solve the bug, but it is still here.

iPhone 13 Mini. Suddenly, whenever he tries to access to his AppleID via phone, or to iCloud and to AppleID via web, Apple sends a 2FA verification code to this phone he is using (iPhone 13 Mini), asking him to "insert this verification code in" his "other iPhone". The other iPhone has been factory reset last November, when I duplicated it into this new iPhone 13, and he never had a problem until yesterday.

I tried to access to his trusted device list, but it is "unavailable" (yes, I turned off the Wi-Fi), and he can't even access to Passwords & Security. Verification codes keep arriving to this phone, but the request is to prompt 'em in the "other iPhone". Very frustrating. No other option on display when the code arrives.

What's happening? How can I help him?

Thank you so much.

Posted on Sep 18, 2022 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 11:06 AM

So, today I joined him with my Macbook and my phone. I asked him to log into appleid.Apple.com on these devices. The webpage asked for a verification code that popped up on the newest device (iPhone 13). Unfortunately, don’t ask me why, the codes weren’t accepted by the webpage. Inexplicable. We chose sms, and this time the code worked. I was able to access his certified devices and numbers list. As I guessed, the factory reset old iPhone was still there. Fortunately, there was only one certified telephone number, the one that went from the old to the new phone. This is why he got the sms. Once deleted the old phone, everything went back to normal. This is quite a strange bug: asking to put codes in an old and factory reset phone, or keep sending there the verifications codes for the web login, is something quite annoying that should not happen. With a new phone number, he would have never been able to access to his ID and related services.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2022 11:06 AM in response to Stan Dibben

So, today I joined him with my Macbook and my phone. I asked him to log into appleid.Apple.com on these devices. The webpage asked for a verification code that popped up on the newest device (iPhone 13). Unfortunately, don’t ask me why, the codes weren’t accepted by the webpage. Inexplicable. We chose sms, and this time the code worked. I was able to access his certified devices and numbers list. As I guessed, the factory reset old iPhone was still there. Fortunately, there was only one certified telephone number, the one that went from the old to the new phone. This is why he got the sms. Once deleted the old phone, everything went back to normal. This is quite a strange bug: asking to put codes in an old and factory reset phone, or keep sending there the verifications codes for the web login, is something quite annoying that should not happen. With a new phone number, he would have never been able to access to his ID and related services.

This is strange: Apple sends the code to the trusted device, asking to prompt it into an old, factory reset, device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.