Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WHY can't we disable 2FA?

Before the lazy comments about my account being more than 14 days - I don't have an active phone number, and my iphone is circling the drain - during use, the battery depletes faster than it charges. I'm switching to android for my phone, but I plan on getting an ipad in the next year. However, without a phone number or my trusted device (my iphone), I won't be able to verify/login, even with my password. The phone is not being kept - it's a fire hazard at this point, and I'm not buying a new battery just to maintain a trusted device.

As of right now, I'm in the process of copying everything on icloud elsewhere. If I get an ipad, I want to be able to login to my account, using my username and password. I'm not asking much here. I do not want to try to recover my account using apple's automated system - automated systems are comparatively dumb, often leading to dead ends. More importantly, I should not have to recover my account because apple is forcing me to "lose" it. I should just be able to disable 2FA, or at least implement an alternative factor like an authenticator.

This is partially just a rant, but if I've missed anything in the documentation or anyone has encountered this before, advice is welcome. I REALLY like Apple's design. But I'm considering clearing out and closing my icloud / account before I lose control of it, and that's just... Incentive to not come back to ios.

iPhone X

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 1:29 PM

This is primarily a user-to-user support forum; other Apple users like you so I can't comment on the "why" part of the question, but what I would do myself in your situation is add a friend or family member's phone number as a trusted number.

See the following from Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

A trusted phone number is a number that can be used to receive verification codes by text message or automated phone call. You must verify at least one trusted phone number to enroll in two-factor authentication.

You should also consider verifying an additional phone number you can access, such as a home phone, or a number used by a family member or close friend. You can use this number if you temporarily can't access your primary number or your own devices.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2022 1:29 PM in response to NeedJailbrokenAccount

This is primarily a user-to-user support forum; other Apple users like you so I can't comment on the "why" part of the question, but what I would do myself in your situation is add a friend or family member's phone number as a trusted number.

See the following from Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

A trusted phone number is a number that can be used to receive verification codes by text message or automated phone call. You must verify at least one trusted phone number to enroll in two-factor authentication.

You should also consider verifying an additional phone number you can access, such as a home phone, or a number used by a family member or close friend. You can use this number if you temporarily can't access your primary number or your own devices.

WHY can't we disable 2FA?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.