Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AOL mail error

My aol email account will not retrieve new emails. It’s says “Cannot get mail. No password provided for emailaddress@aol.com” please go to mail account settings and enter a password. I’ve done that several times on my iPhone and iPad. Also reset network settings. Both are updated to new iOS. Deleted aol mail from accounts on iPad first and now I cannot add it back in mail accounts. Still not working on iPhone. See attached photo for the pop up I keep getting.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 5:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 5:36 PM

I did some research for you. AOL is now requiring App-Specific passwords to be entered instead of your normal password. This is part of their security measure. So, How does one create an App Specific password to enter for AOL email account(s)? See below:

If you've activated 2-step verification for your AOL account, you'll need to generate and use an "app password" to access AOL Mail from these apps.

1. Sign in and go to the AOL Account security page. You can do this by signing on to AOL from a computer.

2. Click Generate app password or Manage app passwords.

3. Select your app from the drop down menu and click Generate.

4. Follow the instructions below the password.

- Be sure to enter the password into your app without any spaces.

5. Click Done.

6. Use this app password and your email address to sign in to your email app.

Axel F.

230 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2021 5:36 PM in response to Madcresdxs

I did some research for you. AOL is now requiring App-Specific passwords to be entered instead of your normal password. This is part of their security measure. So, How does one create an App Specific password to enter for AOL email account(s)? See below:

If you've activated 2-step verification for your AOL account, you'll need to generate and use an "app password" to access AOL Mail from these apps.

1. Sign in and go to the AOL Account security page. You can do this by signing on to AOL from a computer.

2. Click Generate app password or Manage app passwords.

3. Select your app from the drop down menu and click Generate.

4. Follow the instructions below the password.

- Be sure to enter the password into your app without any spaces.

5. Click Done.

6. Use this app password and your email address to sign in to your email app.

Axel F.

Feb 12, 2021 5:15 AM in response to Axel Foley

I have this issue also. However, I do not have the aol app for my main aol email; it is my email set up to show on home screen mail folder. I do not want to use the aol app, and I don't have 2-factor authorization so the above instructions won't work for me. There doesn't seem to be a particular reason this happened. I did check into deleting the account but a message said items hadn't been updated so I'd lose them (mail and notes?) Any clues?

Aug 18, 2021 6:15 PM in response to dreeds

Very interesting. At first, I was baffled by what exactly “Rate Limited” meant in AOL terms. I performed a Google search with, “AOL Rate Limited” and it yielded some interesting results. Below is one example for you:

AOL Email Send (Rate) Limits

AOL imposes a rate limit on an AOL member when a member exceeds the acceptable number of email messages sent in a given time period. The following restrictions apply when sending emails from an AOL connection:

• AOL email send limit - no more than 100 recipients per message or 500 recipients per connection
  • AOL other SMTP limits - max 16mb per message
  • AOL email-outbound policy - http://postmaster-us.info.aol.com/ipt/
  • AOL SMTP restriction expiry method - N/A

This appears to be the case with the emails sent or attachment size. I am not sure. I recommend that you contact AOL for further clarification.

Axel F.

Feb 12, 2021 5:12 PM in response to christine7117

Hello Christine,

Are you certain that you do not have 2-factor Authorization for your AOL account? From my understanding, AOL now requires the accounts to have it. I know that you have stated that the instructions, above, won't work for you however have you tried them regardless? If haven't given it a shot then please try it so that you know whether 2-Factor Authentication is active on your account or not.

Axel F.

Feb 27, 2021 10:49 PM in response to Axel Foley

Thank you. It worked. 2 factor authentication on your AOL is a separate issue, but you don't need to do it right now (for this), just from your account proceed to "Account Security" and follow your steps.

I was dreading it because I have several devices and accounts for which I would have to do this generation process. For some reason, once I did a couple, my other aol acct just updated itself. Then, of course, they sent me warnings that someone had logged into my account several times from several devices (duh). Lol.

Thank you, again.

Mar 2, 2021 7:26 AM in response to MRKA23

Your main and original password to the AOL Mail Website will always be the same that you had set in the past. The app-specific password is used for all other apps. You do not have to remember the new app-specific password(s) because they will be different for every app. If you need it again for another app then you generate another one like you did this time. No need to remember it.

Axel F.

AOL mail error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.