Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing DV movies into iMovie

I am trying to import video from a 2008 Canon DV camera (4pin port) into iMovie (V10.2.2) on my MacBook Pro (macOS BigSur 11.2) with Thunderbolt 3 ports. Could I use Firewire to THunderbolt connections (i.e. 4 pin port to 6pin, 6 pin to 9pin, 9 pin to Thunderbolt 2, TB2 to TB3)? I will need to order these connections, so want to check before I do. If so, could I skip a step (eg 4 pin to 9pin)?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 10:20 AM

USB-c basically is Thunderbolt 3. On my MacBook Air USB-c is the only slot that it has, so I would need to use the additional adapter to USB-c (Thunderbolt 3) in order to plug in. But in your case if you have a Thunderbolt 2 slot you can just plug directly into that.

Be aware that importing from digital tape into iMovie 10 is somewhat hit or miss. It works most of the time but sometimes it doesn't, even with the correct cables.

Good luck with your project.

-- Rich

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2021 10:20 AM in response to marteld

USB-c basically is Thunderbolt 3. On my MacBook Air USB-c is the only slot that it has, so I would need to use the additional adapter to USB-c (Thunderbolt 3) in order to plug in. But in your case if you have a Thunderbolt 2 slot you can just plug directly into that.

Be aware that importing from digital tape into iMovie 10 is somewhat hit or miss. It works most of the time but sometimes it doesn't, even with the correct cables.

Good luck with your project.

-- Rich

Importing DV movies into iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.