Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Related Article: What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS?

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMS & MMS 2020 SE

I can't get SMS and MMS messaging working on my iPhone 2020 SE (256mb) This is a new device for me. It says every time, "Cannot Send Message" MMS Messaging needs to be enabled!" - Yes, I have SMS switched on. What gives?

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 10:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 2:03 PM

I think I stumbled on why this is happening. When I text if it's a blue bubble I'm sending via my cell service/iPhone. If it's a green bubble I'm sending through FaceTime. When trying to text, I can send attachments to anyone who is blue; I cannot send attachments to someone who is green. How or why this happens is beyond me but people in my contacts (* only when trying to text them *) they're either Green or Blue and this seems to be the reason who does and doesn't get sms/mms attachments!!

Anyone have thoughts or a reason to why this happens? I know I did not intentionally do this... it just happened!

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2021 2:03 PM in response to DSLCorporateAngel

I think I stumbled on why this is happening. When I text if it's a blue bubble I'm sending via my cell service/iPhone. If it's a green bubble I'm sending through FaceTime. When trying to text, I can send attachments to anyone who is blue; I cannot send attachments to someone who is green. How or why this happens is beyond me but people in my contacts (* only when trying to text them *) they're either Green or Blue and this seems to be the reason who does and doesn't get sms/mms attachments!!

Anyone have thoughts or a reason to why this happens? I know I did not intentionally do this... it just happened!

Feb 12, 2021 3:54 PM in response to KiltedTim

Who is the service cell carrier for Qlink wireless? That my friend has been the BIG QUESTION. I found this out Q Link Wireless is contracted with T-Mobile as a Mobile Virtual Network Operator; T-Mobile has recently merged with Sprint. Called all three and that lead me back to QLink where I was put on hold and lost my connection. Hm? Called back went through their Gauntlet of "Press This/Press That" and got no where other than that someone will call me back in a day or two. I guess when your service is free because you're disabled (SSI/Medicare) ...you simply slip through the cracks. *I'm a positive person as well as determined but after weeks of trouble shooting and learning on my own - I guess I just don't send SMS/MMS texts even if they're 100% free with my service.

Feb 14, 2021 6:34 PM in response to DSLCorporateAngel

DSLCorporateAngel wrote:

I think I stumbled on why this is happening. When I text if it's a blue bubble I'm sending via my cell service/iPhone. If it's a green bubble I'm sending through FaceTime.

No. Blue messages are iMessages. Green messages are SMS/MMS messages.

SMS/MMS messages are a carrier feature. MMS messages require cellular data.

FaceTime doesn't enter into this at all.

Feb 14, 2021 7:49 PM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks KiltedTim, Waiting for a callback from QLINK. They said, "48 hours" a day ago.

While waiting maybe you can help me understand why my iphone SE 2020 with both a QLINK SIM Card and WI-FI (when texting) has changed my contacts color? I did not change them... they simply are green or blue not both. So I can send texts with pictures to the blue contacts. * these latter mentioned texts are going to their ipads (facetime?) not iphone's. ** I know... cellular data. ;-)

SMS & MMS 2020 SE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.