Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I open Messages on my iPhone, the app pops up on my Computer - I don't want this.

I'm using an iPhone 11 Pro Max with ios 14.4 and a 2017 MacBook Air with Catalina 10.15.7

Ever since the recent Catalina update, when I open the Messages app on my phone, it also pops up on my MacBook (see bottom left of the dock). I do NOT want this to happen. I'm signed out of Messages on the computer and have turned off all notifications for it, but it's still happening. Help!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 7:42 AM

Hi hfreezerburn,

It appears that Handoff is enabled on both your iPhone and your Mac.

To disable it on your Mac, go to System Preferences -> General, and uncheck the box at the bottom for Handoff.

If you want to disable it on your iPhone as well, the location for that setting is: Settings -> General -> AirPlay and Handoff.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2021 7:42 AM in response to hfreezerburn

Hi hfreezerburn,

It appears that Handoff is enabled on both your iPhone and your Mac.

To disable it on your Mac, go to System Preferences -> General, and uncheck the box at the bottom for Handoff.

If you want to disable it on your iPhone as well, the location for that setting is: Settings -> General -> AirPlay and Handoff.

When I open Messages on my iPhone, the app pops up on my Computer - I don't want this.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.