Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shortening / Cutting Titles or Generators without retiming

I've created a project in Motion that I want to use as the background for B-roll footage in FCP. The longest amount of time that the B-roll is 4 minutes, but it may be much shorter. So I created a 4 minute Motion project with the first 8 seconds including some text that should fade out after 8 seconds and just leave the background for the remainder of the time.

Here's the problem. In FCP, if I shorten that background from 4 minutes to 2 minutes, it also shortens the amount of time the text is displayed from 8 seconds to 4 seconds. I'm trying to set up the project so that no matter how long or short I cut the Generator or Title (I've tried it as both), I want the text to always stay at 8 seconds long.

I've set the text up as a separate group in Motion, tried making it both a Title and a Generator (in case the behavior was different), but I cannot find anything in Motion or FCP to be able to shorten / cut the Title/Generator without also retiming the text.

Any suggestions or help would be very appreciated!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 8:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 8:44 AM

The definitive solution involves making a small but crucial thing in Motion.

At that 8 second point in your project, add a marker of the "Build-in (Mandatory)" or "Build-in (Optional)" kind.

This will make that this 8 second section will always last 8 seconds, irrespective of the duration you make for the title in FCP.

You probably won't need to make the project 4 minutes any more...

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2021 8:44 AM in response to briancw

The definitive solution involves making a small but crucial thing in Motion.

At that 8 second point in your project, add a marker of the "Build-in (Mandatory)" or "Build-in (Optional)" kind.

This will make that this 8 second section will always last 8 seconds, irrespective of the duration you make for the title in FCP.

You probably won't need to make the project 4 minutes any more...

Feb 13, 2021 10:31 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you so much for the help, Luis! The first idea (creating a compound clip) did work wonderfully and solved my immediate problem. I tried setting a "Build-In (mandatory)" marker at the 8 second mark in the Motion project, but for some reason, that hasn't changed the behavior. However, the first solution is working and I'm very grateful for the help!

Feb 14, 2021 6:55 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

It wasn't that (though I've certainly made that mistake before, too), but I went back and re-read your answer. I had put a "Build OUT" marker instead of a "Build IN" marker at the 8 second mark. Changing that made the clip work as expected. Thank you so much for the help, Luis! I'd been searching Google for hours looking for a solution!

Shortening / Cutting Titles or Generators without retiming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.