Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring from iMac to iMac

I have an old iMac with no usb3, I have received my new iMac with usb3, I have about 150gb of used storage on the old Mac, what is the best method of transfer, Mac to new Mac , wifi or cable, or time machine to new Mac. Hope this makes sense to you techno wizards out there. Thank You.

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 8:39 AM

This article explains how to do it:

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

I would say the most flexible is Time Machine, that way you don't need to have the two macs both set up and connected while migrating.

Backup old mac with:

Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

And follow the other guide for how to migrate.

Good luck!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2021 8:39 AM in response to Ziphoid

This article explains how to do it:

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

I would say the most flexible is Time Machine, that way you don't need to have the two macs both set up and connected while migrating.

Backup old mac with:

Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

And follow the other guide for how to migrate.

Good luck!

Feb 12, 2021 8:37 AM in response to Ziphoid

When you buy a new Mac the easiest, quickest and most reliable method is to simply connect the old Mac's Time Machine External Hard Disk to the new Mac using a USB cable before you turn on the new Mac. When you start the new Mac for the first time it will startup Setup Assistant (SA), SA will get to a point where it asks if you are migrating from another computer, select Yes  and follow the on-screen prompts and it's done! It is THAT simple.

If you have already done SA on the new computer then simply connect the Time Machine External Hard Disk using a USB cable and launch Migration Assistant (MA) which is located in Applications - Utilities - MA. Then follow the on-screen prompts. 

The ONLY difference between MA and SA is MA will create a new user account that you need to log into.

Both SA and MA migrate applications (not 32 bit apps) , data files, settings, it does not migrate Mac OS itself. Some professional apps such as Adobe and Microsoft apps may require re-installing their apps as they will not allow them to be migrated. As long as you kept the security keys for installing their apps, it is not a big deal. 

Transferring from iMac to iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.