Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer from old iMac to new iMac

What is the best, ie safest and most complete, way to transfer data etc from my current (old) iMac to a new one I am picking up this weekend?

Old iMac is 21.5 inch Late 2009 running on High Sierra 10.13.6

I have Time Machine and have backups on two separate external drives (just to be sure i don't lose anything).

Thank you.

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 4:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 12:14 PM

Hi pkBrooklyn,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

First, see if this article helps: Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support.

If you haven't setup your new Mac yet, use Setup Assistant to transfer your data, rather than using Migration Assistant later. If you have a Time Machine backup drive, plug it in and move data from that. If you do not, connect the old Mac and the new Mac directly together with an Ethernet cable to transfer data.

-Jack

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2021 12:14 PM in response to pkBrooklyn

Hi pkBrooklyn,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

First, see if this article helps: Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support.

If you haven't setup your new Mac yet, use Setup Assistant to transfer your data, rather than using Migration Assistant later. If you have a Time Machine backup drive, plug it in and move data from that. If you do not, connect the old Mac and the new Mac directly together with an Ethernet cable to transfer data.

-Jack

Transfer from old iMac to new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.