backing up data from an old iMac to a new one using a USB super drive

I have a new iMac and am trying to transfer data from the old one 2012 vintage to the new one. Migration Assistant doesn't work. I don't have a USB-A to USB-C to hook both computers together. I have an old USB Super Drive which I could use to back up my data from the old iMac but how to plug in the type A USB drive to the new iMac which only has usb-C ports?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 3:27 PM

Cheapest approach is likely going to be that USB-C to USB-A cable.

Or making an appointment with Apple, if they're willing to perform the transfer, and bringing it all in.

Alternatively, get a hard disk drive to use for backups your new computer, and use that (initially) to back up the old iMac.

You'll also need a USB-C to USB-A adapter for the new iMac, and a hard disk with a USB-A connector.

Using a SuperDrive is going to be a whole lot of work, and all of that work manual. DVDs are 4.7 GB or so. Tiny.

If you do choose to use SuperDrive and manually transfer the data ~4 GB at a time, you will need the Apple USB-C to USB-A adapter to provide enough power to run the SuperDrive on the new iMac.

The hard disk will allow you to get Time Machine backups of your new iMac, as well.

If you decide to get the USB-C to USB-A cable for the initial transfer, you can get a USB-C hard disk for Time Machine backups for the new iMac.

PS: The only way to indicate data is valuable is with a backup. No backups means the data is one command mistake or one hardware failure or one hardware damage away from total loss.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2023 3:27 PM in response to Sooze29

Cheapest approach is likely going to be that USB-C to USB-A cable.

Or making an appointment with Apple, if they're willing to perform the transfer, and bringing it all in.

Alternatively, get a hard disk drive to use for backups your new computer, and use that (initially) to back up the old iMac.

You'll also need a USB-C to USB-A adapter for the new iMac, and a hard disk with a USB-A connector.

Using a SuperDrive is going to be a whole lot of work, and all of that work manual. DVDs are 4.7 GB or so. Tiny.

If you do choose to use SuperDrive and manually transfer the data ~4 GB at a time, you will need the Apple USB-C to USB-A adapter to provide enough power to run the SuperDrive on the new iMac.

The hard disk will allow you to get Time Machine backups of your new iMac, as well.

If you decide to get the USB-C to USB-A cable for the initial transfer, you can get a USB-C hard disk for Time Machine backups for the new iMac.

PS: The only way to indicate data is valuable is with a backup. No backups means the data is one command mistake or one hardware failure or one hardware damage away from total loss.

backing up data from an old iMac to a new one using a USB super drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.