Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text Messaging

Why do I need my iPhone turned on to send a text message from my iPad? When my iPhone is turned off, I’m unable to send a text message from my iPad.

iPhone 6, 12

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 2:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 2:54 PM

I have no issues at all when the iPhone is on; however, if I turn it off and send a text to an Android, it won't go through. As soon as I turn on the iPhone, I can either resend the text or create and send a new one. But you answered my questions. Thanks to both you and the other respondent.

9 replies

Feb 12, 2021 2:36 PM in response to alexdv101

alexdv101 wrote:

Why do I need my iPhone turned on to send a text message from my iPad? When my iPhone is turned off, I’m unable to send a text message from my iPad.

Define text message.

If it's an Apple iMessage, the iPad can do this without an iPhone.

For carrier SMS/MMS messages, the iPad needs to relay that through an iPhone to the carrier's system. iPad's can't access the voice channel that carries SMS/MMS messages.

This is for Android users who can't receive iMessages.

Feb 12, 2021 2:50 PM in response to alexdv101

alexdv101 wrote:

Oh, I see. And, yes, the problem occurs for SMS/MMS messages only. Any suggestions other than being certain my iPhone is on for SMS/MMS messaging?

Do you have issues when your iPhone is on to relay the SMS/MMS messages?

Again, an iPad can not access the voice channel of the carrier's signal to carry SMS/MMS. There is no other way an iPad can send these messages. Not sure what other suggestions I can make. iPads with cellular service access the carrier's data channel only, not the voice.

Text Messaging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.