Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I turn off the firmware password on a Macbook Pro when I don't know what it is as I have never entered it?

How can I turn off the firmware password on a Macbook Pro as it needs to be sent in for repair to apple, when I don't know what it is as I have never entered it?

Posted on Feb 13, 2021 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2021 12:01 PM

If you don't know the firmware password, then you will need to take the laptop to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider along with valid proof of purchase and valid ID. I suggest contacting the Apple Store or AASP first to make sure exactly what paperwork you need to provide to them so they can unlock the Mac.

Edit: Did you turn off FindMy for this laptop? I was told that some FindMy security can also activate a firmware lock as well.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2021 12:01 PM in response to CharlieT300

If you don't know the firmware password, then you will need to take the laptop to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider along with valid proof of purchase and valid ID. I suggest contacting the Apple Store or AASP first to make sure exactly what paperwork you need to provide to them so they can unlock the Mac.

Edit: Did you turn off FindMy for this laptop? I was told that some FindMy security can also activate a firmware lock as well.

How can I turn off the firmware password on a Macbook Pro when I don't know what it is as I have never entered it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.