I purchased a 2015 MacBook Pro and it’s asking for a firmware password that the seller doesn’t know. How do I get around or remove it? Needs new iOS installed and command r doesn’t work just back to the Lock Screen

It has a firmware password that the seller doesn’t know or remember. How can I get around this issue without buying another machine?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 24, 2023 11:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 1:59 AM

You're not the original owner, so you cannot let the firmware password to be removed. The original owner should go, with valid proof of purchase information, to an Apple Service point to get the firmware password removed.

See this excerpt from Apple's knowledge base for further reference

If you can't remember your firmware password, schedule an in-person service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Bring your Mac to the appointment, and bring your original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase.

Set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2023 1:59 AM in response to Welder1965

You're not the original owner, so you cannot let the firmware password to be removed. The original owner should go, with valid proof of purchase information, to an Apple Service point to get the firmware password removed.

See this excerpt from Apple's knowledge base for further reference

If you can't remember your firmware password, schedule an in-person service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Bring your Mac to the appointment, and bring your original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase.

Set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support

I purchased a 2015 MacBook Pro and it’s asking for a firmware password that the seller doesn’t know. How do I get around or remove it? Needs new iOS installed and command r doesn’t work just back to the Lock Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.