You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NVRAM no Longer Resetting Requiring OP+CTRL+P+R to Switch On My Mac Pro Every Time

Since the Big Sur upgrade my Mac Pro always requires me to use the NVRAM reset to use the machine. Any clues as to why this is happening and how I can return to just switching on the machine with the power button?

Thx!

Mac Pro

Posted on Feb 13, 2021 2:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 11:19 AM

On the silver tower models, if you can upgrade memory without drawing blood, you can remove and test for 3 volts or replace the PRAM backup battery. Just use a bright light and understand what is retaining the battery before acting -- breaking the battery holder can ruin your day.

On the late 2013 dark cylinder models, only you can decide whether the 32-step teardown is within your abilities -- illustrated procedures can be found online. In my opinion it is not difficult, just complicated.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 14, 2021 11:19 AM in response to bobuffs

On the silver tower models, if you can upgrade memory without drawing blood, you can remove and test for 3 volts or replace the PRAM backup battery. Just use a bright light and understand what is retaining the battery before acting -- breaking the battery holder can ruin your day.

On the late 2013 dark cylinder models, only you can decide whether the 32-step teardown is within your abilities -- illustrated procedures can be found online. In my opinion it is not difficult, just complicated.

Feb 14, 2021 7:38 AM in response to bobuffs

startup issues related to PRAM/NVRAM can also be related to the PRAM Backup battery, especially if they occur after a power interruption.

Your Mac uses a nominal 3 Volt long-life non-recharging Lithium coin cell to maintain the parameter PRAM/NVRAM. If it dies, it can be very difficult to start up. Commonly-available CR2032 can be used as a replacement.

On Mac Pro silver towers, it is half-hidden behind the graphics card slot. On your late 2013 dark cylinder, it requires a 32-step teardown to gain access to the battery holder.

NVRAM no Longer Resetting Requiring OP+CTRL+P+R to Switch On My Mac Pro Every Time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.