You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook terminal question? And M1 Apple Silicone MacBookPro 2021 set, all reset NVRAM

By any chance, how do I reset NVRAM by using Apple silicon M1 MacBook Pro 2021 14-inch model? When I disable what appears when I open the autoboot cover, sudo nvram AutoBoot=%00 I try to disable it, but it doesn't work. What should I do? But the problem is that when I type sudo nvram Autoboot=%0, it says creating error the NVRAM, that is, NVRAM creation error. What does that mean? Apple Silicon Mac has some NVRAM, but if there is no reset command, there is no way to restore all values ​​to the initial state before customizing the terminal command when the terminal is touched by mistake? If I reinstall the Mac, will all settings such as NVRAM be restored to their original state? And when you disable wake-up mode with a terminal command, does it disappear from the environment settings? If you reinstall Mac, will it return to the original value?! If the Mac malfunctions when customizing the Apple Silicon Mac with the NVRAM command, how do I restore all NVRAM settings back to default? If the user arbitrarily does something that the user does not have in the environment setting with the command, is there no way to restore the setting value to the previous state? I'm worried too. For various reasons, I was afraid that something went wrong when I entered the NVRAM command in the terminal and the problem occurred without my knowledge.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 11:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2022 12:17 PM

I have no idea whether the commands to manipulate NVRAM work properly on an M1 Mac. I recall a post a while back where a seemingly innocuous "nvram" command seemingly bricked an M1 Mac so I would suggest using extreme caution. FYI, I have personally bricked two 2006 MacBooks just by trying to configure the NVRAM using Linux to set the default boot disk which should never have caused a problem (or a permanent problem), but it did.

Here is the command to clear the NVRAM which works on an Intel Mac. I've never tried it on an M1 Mac.

sudo  nvram  -c
2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 27, 2022 12:17 PM in response to jungmin224

I have no idea whether the commands to manipulate NVRAM work properly on an M1 Mac. I recall a post a while back where a seemingly innocuous "nvram" command seemingly bricked an M1 Mac so I would suggest using extreme caution. FYI, I have personally bricked two 2006 MacBooks just by trying to configure the NVRAM using Linux to set the default boot disk which should never have caused a problem (or a permanent problem), but it did.

Here is the command to clear the NVRAM which works on an Intel Mac. I've never tried it on an M1 Mac.

sudo  nvram  -c

Mar 27, 2022 4:46 PM in response to jungmin224

There is no SMC or NVRAM reset on an M1 Mac as we knew it on Intel and PPC Macs. In fact, the SMC is gone and the NVRAM is different from what it was on earlier Macs.

On an M1, the system itself checks the NVRAM at startup (from cold boot, not warm restart) and resets the NVRAM itself if necessary. It is inadvisable to mess around with it on an M1 Mac.

MacBook terminal question? And M1 Apple Silicone MacBookPro 2021 set, all reset NVRAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.