Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

weak security (WPA)

recently upgraded to mac OS Big Sur 11.2.1on mbp 2017 15"- touch bar. Window now opens when I click

on wifi:

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 13, 2021 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2021 4:58 PM

I’m guessing that box was from your ISP. Check with your ISP, and see if they’re replacing 802.11n (old) boxes with newer. That box is now known as Wi-Fi 4 (Wi-Fi 6 is current), is roughly ten years old, and is probably getting a little creaky.

Here’s the manual:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/video/at_home/Cable_Modems/3800_Series/4021196_C.pdf

Page 41 has the wireless security settings.

Before making changes, please post the Wi-Fi setting—probably WPA personal—and the encryption type selected. For your usage, also note the pre-shared key, but please don’t post that here. Also post whether one or more of your Macs is wired to or can be wired to this box, or if they’re all connected wirelessly.

Where this is eventually headed—make no changes yet, though!—is using the same pre-shared key shown (again, write that down, but don’t post that), and switching to WPA2 Personal, and switching the encryption to AES, which should upgrade your network security. But not yet, as we need a path into this box that will be accessible should the Wi-Fi somehow disconnect and not reconnect.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2021 4:58 PM in response to suefromvictoria

I’m guessing that box was from your ISP. Check with your ISP, and see if they’re replacing 802.11n (old) boxes with newer. That box is now known as Wi-Fi 4 (Wi-Fi 6 is current), is roughly ten years old, and is probably getting a little creaky.

Here’s the manual:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/video/at_home/Cable_Modems/3800_Series/4021196_C.pdf

Page 41 has the wireless security settings.

Before making changes, please post the Wi-Fi setting—probably WPA personal—and the encryption type selected. For your usage, also note the pre-shared key, but please don’t post that here. Also post whether one or more of your Macs is wired to or can be wired to this box, or if they’re all connected wirelessly.

Where this is eventually headed—make no changes yet, though!—is using the same pre-shared key shown (again, write that down, but don’t post that), and switching to WPA2 Personal, and switching the encryption to AES, which should upgrade your network security. But not yet, as we need a path into this box that will be accessible should the Wi-Fi somehow disconnect and not reconnect.

Feb 13, 2021 3:29 PM in response to suefromvictoria

Do you have a particular question?

macOS is detecting a wireless network connection that is insecure.

As the message states, if this is your Wi-Fi network, consider reconfiguring it, or—if the connections don’t support WPA2 personal with AES, or WPA2/WPA3/transitional, or WPA3—consider replacing the Wi-Fi router with a less-aged (and probably faster) model.

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

Feb 13, 2021 3:42 PM in response to MrHoffman

Do I need to change the network? We also have an older mbp on this network - mac OS High

Sierra - 13" - early 2011 version 10.13.6 and two iPod touch sixth generation. Is this something

a rookie could do - with some help? Thanks in advance. That was my question - guess I was hoping for a quick fix with some

help as to how I actually do the reconfiguring. I'm not that computer savvy and don't want to screw up my wifi connection.

Feb 13, 2021 5:38 PM in response to MrHoffman

You're right about the ISP box. Probably back when we got the first mbp. To be honest I didn't realize it was

necessary to upgrade the box. As they're rented I didn't think about it. Thanks very much for your info - you've given

me a lot to digest. Am going to look into this with the ISP and see what they say about upgrading the box. My Mac seems

to have slowed a bit since Big Sur, nothing real bad though.We also have been receiving junk emails on a daily basis which

seems to have started after the upgrade - could that have anything to do with 'weak security" WPA? or maybe just a

coincidence. Sorry for bombarding you with a bunch of unrelated questions. Thanks again for your advice.

Feb 13, 2021 6:09 PM in response to MrHoffman

I’m guessing that box was from your ISP.

No it is not - at least not on iOS devices. It is the latest Mac OS/iOS "feature" warning you that you have your router configured to an older security setting, which can either be changed by going to the modem/router's webside at 192.168.x.x or contact the ISP and ask about a router with newer security features.

@suefromvictoria:

You've always had weak security, you just weren't aware of it. I got the same warning when I updated; my older router did not have options to use a more secure security setting, so I got a new one from my ISP. FWIW, I pay for mine - I do not rent them. Cost me about one year's worth of rental payments.

Feb 13, 2021 6:56 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

I’m guessing that box was from your ISP.

No it is not - at least not on iOS devices. It is the latest Mac OS/iOS "feature" warning you that you have your router configured to an older security setting...

Apparently I was unclear. I’m well aware of the origin of the Wi-Fi security diagnostic. And by “box”, I referring to the Cisco DOCSIS cable-modem-Wi-Fi box, which is effectively other end of that diagnostic; that’s the box providing the older Wi-Fi with the older security. And the WPA personal security was probably an appropriate choice a decade or so ago, too. It’s that DOCSIS cable modem thst needs to be reconfigured.

babowa, if you want this thread, it’s yours.

weak security (WPA)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.