Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete key does not delete notes in Preview

Whenever I add a note that is not attached to a highlight, I am unable to delete it. The 'Delete' key option does not work and there is no right-click-menu option to delete it either.

Attaching the note to a highlight is not a good option either because the note obscures the text next to the highlight.

Preview's great for annotating PDFs but the bugs are way too annoying to make it a sustainable PDF reader. Adobe Reader is way better at handling notes.

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 5:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 6:30 AM

In Preview, when you want to delete an annotation, press ⌘+i to open the Inspector panel. The right-most tab in that panel is your ordered annotations. Click the one you want to remove, press the backspace key, and then click once in the PDF and the annotation will disappear.

8 replies

Delete key does not delete notes in Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.